NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. I appreciate any help in advance. 1999 vw beetle, auto with about 110k miles. Found a great deal on it I couldn't pass up. Originally believed to be a bad starter issue has turned out to be a seized AC compressor, that was giving the impression of a locked up engine. Started checked good. And I was able to get the engine to turn freely once the serpentine belt was removed. Compressor seems toast (seized).
My question, in order to get the car running (low on funds to replace the compressor at this time, might wait until summer anyway) is there any way to Free it up, or to maybe replace it with a pulley mounted on a bracket? I have seen Compressor bypass brackets and pulleys for other cars (including the Passat in other sites) but so far no luck with anything for my beetle. Any ideas?
-Alan

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Maybe you could replace or repair the A/C clutch. Then the pulley should turn freely even if the compressor is frozen.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Edit_2012-06-05_011.jpg .

Sounds like the a/c clutch is also frozen.

The picture is of the ribbed belt routing bottom is with a/c. If you can remove the clutch from the compressor or remove the compressor from its mounts and secure it out of the way of the belt and fans it would give you some time to gather funds for the repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re:

Thanks for the ideas... Didn't realize I could just use the same belt, and remove the clutch, and be able to keep her running. Sounds like what I am going to do. Hopefully I can figure out if its a seized bearing, or a seized clutch, and still be able to keep her running in the meantime.

·
nancyhoffman
2 Posts
I would go with red99 on this that the belts with or without ac are of two different lengths. Just remove the clutch and install a new belt, then you're good to go for a drive. But, for a long drive you got to take your vehicle to some technician who have great knowledge of air conditioning like amtekair.

·
Registered
758 Posts
A/C for me is an "optional" thing. I have not had A/C in my "daily driver" for years. When I had my full size Chevy G20 van, the A/C seized and destroyed the A/C clutch, so I replaced it with pulley to keep the complicated serpentine belt routing the same. On my current '91 Ford Crown Victoria, the A/C system has a leak somewhere and the compressor is bad (but the clutch is good), so I've just left it "as-is". The clutch won't engage due to the lack of R-12 in the system (low pressure safety switch).

But, if you live in a very hot climate, you may not think A/C is "optional".

·
Registered
758 Posts
Oh no you can't drive around without A/C down here in south texas it's Torture.
A/C is definitely the technology that makes the "deep south" in the US a tolerable place to live. I live in Cincinnati and we have quite hot and humid days in the middle of summer, but it's usually cool enough that the drive to work in the morning, without A/C is tolerable. On the way home I've got 465 A/C (four windows down going at least 65 mph on the highway). :D

My daughter's NBC has functioning A/C, but with a convertible, the top is down more often than the A/C is on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did removing the compressor work with only putting in a new belt? I've been lookin for an ac delete pulley to do the delete on my 98 2.0, but I'd like to know if I can just remove the compressor and use an 1120mm belt. Does it throw a CEL? I would very much appreciate if someone can tell me for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up just replacing the compressor clutch as recommended above. It was about 65 shipped from flebay, removing it took me about 2 days.... as it was REALLY seized. Pried it with two large screwdrivers enough to be able to place a pulley puller in there eventually, with the compressor removed from its attach points but all hoses still connected.. faced it up at a slight angle and that gave me enough room to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ended up just replacing the compressor clutch as recommended above. It was about 65 shipped from flebay, removing it took me about 2 days.... as it was REALLY seized. Pried it with two large screwdrivers enough to be able to place a pulley puller in there eventually, with the compressor removed from its attach points but all hoses still connected.. faced it up at a slight angle and that gave me enough room to work.
Have a sized up (melted) clutch.
Wondering is your a/c working afterward?

Karl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts