NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals,

I own an 05 Beetle 1.9L TDI and just started hearing some serpentine belt screeching. It happens intermittently; upon start-up for a couple of seconds and then when the A/C is turned on it will happen every minute or so for about 5-10 seconds. I can also hear a sort of chattering.

I just changed the belt to rule that out. I thought it was the alternator but that seems to be okay (14.5V) and spins freely. I've kinda narrowed it down to the compressor or possibly the clutch. I've never had to work on anything like that so it kind of scares me.

I've recorded a video and put it on YouTube HERE.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I would guess the tensioner before either of those, after all its job is to keep the belt tight so it doesn't slip and make noise.

The one time on my bug when the compressor seized it just blew the belt apart, no noise at all.

·
Registered
11,816 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well guys, it was the alternator and the tensioner pulley. The alternator was toasted and was causing the noise. It was a 4 year old unit from Autzone. Lifetime warranty so that was cool. I had to take it in to my mechanic and they charged me $200 to diagnose and then replace the tensioner pulley with a german part. Then I brought it home and replaced the alternator myself. That sucked. The hardest part was getting that belt back on. I don't know if there is some special tool/way to torque that tensioner but dang was that difficult. All fixed though. No more screeching.

Now I just have to figure out what the random/intermittent clacking sound is. Been going on for years now and it's bugging me!

·
Registered
950 Posts
I hear ya on that tensioner. When I did my compressor I had to take off the belt too. What I ended up doing was modifying my wrench so that it had a nice flat surface to put my foot against and I pushed with my leg and held it there since my wrench wasn't long enough to make up for how weak and spindly my arms are.

I suspect that at a shop when they have it above their head they must have a very long wrench to do that by hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts