VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i'm looking for some help on my bugs newest issue! This just started two days ago...

My normal idle is at 1 or just a bit under (not sure if this is a bit high to start with?) but when I turn my a/c on it jumps to 1.5 and then when i'm driving and let off the gas it stays up somewhere between 1.5 and 2 and it still feels like its giving it gas and keeping it going, and then it takes about 30-40 seconds once i'm idling for it to drop down to 1.5. BUT the second I turn the a/c off the idle drops back down to 1 and it drives fine.

So is this an electrical issue? This is foreign to me that something with the a/c would make the idle so high and still give it gas...

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
950 Posts
AC is mechanically driven by the accessories belt, not an electrical system.

So once the AC is set to on the clutch on the AC compressor engages. You should see a momentary blip in RPM as the engine adjusts to the new load, but it should not be running at that high an idle speed for the entire duration of the AC being turned on.

My guess would be there is something wrong with the AC compressor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay...so is there a way to tell if the compressor is going bad or is it something that i'm going to need to just replace?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts