VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings good people,
I've been having a heck of a time trying to fix the A/C in my 99 tdi.
I've been taking it in to a local vw shop and trouble shooting a bit of a vexing problem:

ready?

The A/C doesn't blow cold, and the heat doesn't blow hot.
The fan works perfectly (except for that it just blows ambient temperature air around and Texas gets really hot and uncomfortably cold).

When the A/C was failing, it would work intermittently (over the course of several months). It now doesn't work at all. I got a DIY A/C line recharger from the auto parts store and the pressure was low, though still within the stated operable range. I topped it off and it seemed to somewhat help for a day or two and then it went back to completely not working.

I had the guys at the shop check the pump, and they say that's fine. They replaced the fuse to see if that would help and it didn't..

Now - here's where I need your advice:
the guys are the shop (and also at the dealership) are saying that it might be a blown flap of foam which diverts the hot air from the cold air (normally keeping the engine-heated air separate from the freon-cooled air) before blowing it into the cabin. The diagnosis for this comes from the list of attempted (and failed) solutions and due to a metal clank when turning the cold/hot knob from one extreme to the other (can only hear the clank when turning it all the way to the cold side).
They explained that this meant the hot and cold air streams were mixing, resulting in less than ideal performance.
They also explained that getting to that flap of foam required removing the entire dash and that the labor would cost around $1000.

that's a third of what i paid for this car... and I don't really have the finances to count that as an option.

I haven't been able to find any DIY walkthroughs of the process online. Do they exist and I'm just not using the right keywords?

Also, I'm skeptical of this diagnosis because if it was just an air mixing issue then i should be able to get good cold air blowing on a moderate day right when I start up the car after it's been parked in the shade. Similarly, during the winter I should be able to get somewhat warmed air on long drives with the recirculation on and the A/C off. BUT that's not what's happening - it's straight ambient air.

Thanks for reading this long OP and know that I sincerely appreciate your brain power and experience and generosity of knowledge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One way to tell if you have a duct problem versus a cooling problem is to CAREFULLY test the temperature of the R134 lines in the engine compartment. One should be warm to hot (the return from the condenser) and the other should be cold. Like I said, be careful, because the return can be very hot.

It sounded as if your car doesn't get warm air in the winter either, did I read that right? IF it's not, then you do have a good indication that you have an air box problem of some sort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One should be warm to hot (the return from the condenser) and the other should be cold.
It sounded as if your car doesn't get warm air in the winter either, did I read that right? IF it's not, then you do have a good indication that you have an air box problem of some sort.
so there should be a large discrepancy between the feed and the return r134 lines? is this when the a/c is engaged or all the time? how long should i have the engine & a/c running before testing the line temp?

the heater does not blow hot, that's correct.
what's the air box? the evaporator?

grazi

·
Registered
950 Posts
Research: Blend Door DIY

You should find the do it yourself instructions for getting at that pesky little blend door that is most likely the cause of the issue.

It does involve the entire dash being disassembled which is why it is so expensive at the shop, lots of time consuming details.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts