NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
Having A/C issues again. Unlike the last time, the A/C fairy didn't fix it.

Problem I'm having is the clutch doesn't want to engage. Pressures are good (using the TDI link often referred to for reference), I'm getting voltage (9.5v) to the compressor, and both fans come on with A/C switch. I've not checked the pressure switch as I don't have a dmm that checks duty cycle. All fuses are good. No melting on fuse box. Also, when the A/C is on with the car running, the engine idles up about 200 rpms about every 5 seconds trying to engage the clutch. I've not gotten to the fan control module to test each wire like it says in the TDI article, but I guess that may be my next step. I don't know and I don't get it.

Now for the even more confusing part....I took it to my friend with a shop, which is where we tested the line pressures. We never could get the clutch to kick on. After we got finished, we cranked the car, and just let it run while we BS'ed before I left. I could hear the engine doing it's 200 rpm attempt at kicking the compressor on in the background. Ran about 10 minutes. As I'm walking to the car to leave, I hear the clutch engage...WHAT??? A/C worked great, until I turned the car off for a few minutes. Then...no clutch. I drove the car home, frustrated. Left A/C button on. About halfway home, I noticed the 200 rpm jump stopped, and now it's not doing that.

I'm lost. I don't know where to go from here. Please direct me, oh mighty Beetle gurus.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm thinking that I'll buy a new pressure switch and fan control module, and see what happens. I'm thinking it's gotta be something in what sends the signal to the compressor.

Does anyone have any experience with the different fan control modules ECS sells? They got 4 different ones. One is VW, one seems to be made by the same company as VW, and then there's two others. I was wondering if the cheaper one is okay, or if I'm wasting what little money I have if I buy it.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine is doing the same.

My 2003 1.8 is doing the exact same thing. :runnethov Based on what others have been posting, I think it may be a high pressure switch, but I'm not sure yet and don't even know where that switch is located.
Someone has to of fixed this problem before. It's over 100 degrees outside. and the black leather is burning my ass. I'm sure there's us and many others with the same problem. Pleasetake the time to tell us what fixed it.
I'll be checking this post regularly. :barfkiss:My ass thanks you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't believe none of the long timers have posted in this. Kinda disappointing, like working on this thing. :rolleyes:

Anyway, to the point.
Figured out why I don't gamble. I've narrowed it down to either the FCM or the pressure switch. So, seeing as I'm unemployed, I went for the cheaper. Doh! No change. SO.....guess I'll be trying the FCM.

As asked previously, has anyone had any experience with the non-VW FCMs?

Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, chalk another one up to PFM (pure f*****g magic). I replaced the pressure switch. No changes. Decided I'd try the tests for the FCM once more before ordering one, and, well, no changes. Everything still tested correct. Plug it all back up, button everything up for the evening. Crank the car to move it....and the A/C starts blowing cold.....:confused: I drove it around for about 20 minutes, cutting off here and there, and it's still working. I don't get it.

This car hates me, just like her last two European cars.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Well, chalk another one up to PFM (pure f*****g magic). I replaced the pressure switch. No changes. Decided I'd try the tests for the FCM once more before ordering one, and, well, no changes. Everything still tested correct. Plug it all back up, button everything up for the evening. Crank the car to move it....and the A/C starts blowing cold.....:confused: I drove it around for about 20 minutes, cutting off here and there, and it's still working. I don't get it.

This car hates me, just like her last two European cars.
I am glad to see that it is working for you; the two A/C parts that I replace most often are the radiator sensor and the FCM.

Perhaps your NB just knows which of your buttons to push... ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, the PFM wore off. The A/C quit again. I guess I'm gonna throw an FCM in it, and pray that it works. I'm NOT pleased with throwing parts at this thing. I REALLY don't have the money for this. We'll see.

EDIT: Well, at least I was able to repeat the PFM from before. When I unplug the FCM and plug it back up, the a/c starts working. Any thoughts on this? Also, which FCM should I order if I buy from ECS?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Well, the PFM wore off. The A/C quit again. I guess I'm gonna throw an FCM in it, and pray that it works. I'm NOT pleased with throwing parts at this thing. I REALLY don't have the money for this. We'll see.

EDIT: Well, at least I was able to repeat the PFM from before. When I unplug the FCM and plug it back up, the a/c starts working. Any thoughts on this? Also, which FCM should I order if I buy from ECS?
Cooling system diagnostics (Bentley) .pdf is here in Post #9, this should help you isolate the problem.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/51996-getting-rid-factory-fans.html

MORAV

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any Ideas

Well here comes another summer and my ac is still not working. It still has the same symptoms as stated above with the engine surging and compressor not kicking on. Please help!!! I replaced the FCM and one of the temp switches. Still no luck.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Maybe the thread of mine will help? Faulty pin in the wire harness led to a bad connection resulting in the clutch not engaging.

·
Registered
142 Posts
yea, after i got mine fixed up, i had to replace ac hoses and pump, got it charged but didnt kick on, my problem was that the connector wasnt fully connected or may have been a bit dirty, just pushed on it with a pry bar (gently) and it started working, hasnt got warm enough to test it out thou, still waitn for that warm weather to reach canada

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Well here comes another summer and my ac is still not working. It still has the same symptoms as stated above with the engine surging and compressor not kicking on. Please help!!! I replaced the FCM and one of the temp switches. Still no luck.
Here is the list of items to check, not in any particular order ...

1) Temp Sensor
2) Radiator Fan Switch Sensor
3) Fan Thermal Switch Sensor
4) Fan Control Module
5) Fans (Perform the High/Low Speed function test)
6) Fuse Block on top of the battery
7) Replace the compressor (bad icing sensor; internal component)
8) Replace the Dryer (can get clogged which increases pressure)
9) Passenger side fire wall valve (can get clogged which increases pressure)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts