NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering I'm in Texas, a/c is a must.

2005 GL 2.0
100,000 miles
replaced timing belt/water pump/etc. at 80K

Yesterday, I noticed a/c wasn't cold every time I was stopped at a light, etc. However, once I began moving, the a/c was cool again. Today it was just blowing out warm air...except on the freeway doing 65mph...in which it was very cold.

After I returned home, I let it idle for a while and noticed the neither of the fans were kicking on.

Checked all the appropriate fuses...panel and on top of battery...all seem good.

When I turned on the a/c, I did notice the usual "click" when it usually turns on; however, after 30 seconds or so, it "clicked" off.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Considering I'm in Texas, a/c is a must.

2005 GL 2.0
100,000 miles
replaced timing belt/water pump/etc. at 80K

Yesterday, I noticed a/c wasn't cold every time I was stopped at a light, etc. However, once I began moving, the a/c was cool again. Today it was just blowing out warm air...except on the freeway doing 65mph...in which it was very cold.

After I returned home, I let it idle for a while and noticed the neither of the fans were kicking on.

Checked all the appropriate fuses...panel and on top of battery...all seem good.

When I turned on the a/c, I did notice the usual "click" when it usually turns on; however, after 30 seconds or so, it "clicked" off.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Sounds like a fan control module. And if so I got one for sale.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know this module is located underneath the battery...how difficult is it to change? I did replace the battery myself, so getting to the FCM shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I know this module is located underneath the battery...how difficult is it to change? I did replace the battery myself, so getting to the FCM shouldn't be a problem.
Its not hard to change just gotta get the caqr on wheel ramps or jack stands. 2 harness to unplug and 2 bolts if i remember right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Didn't want to play "guess the problem part," so took the car to the stealer last week to blow $100 on a diagnostic. Turns out it was two failed cooling fans. Ordered the parts from germanautoparts and received them today. Took four hours in the 98 degree Texas heat to put them in...removal was twice as hard as installation, except for the pesky upper torx on the drivers side fan...pain in the arse to screw in.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
Good to hear you found the problem, unfortunately I would expect to sometime have to replace the compressor as well as the pressure build up likely weakened a seal. It might or might not though!

Thats just usually what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts