VW Beetle Forum banner

A/C Problems

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  janitz 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 New Beetle that has never had any problems with the A/C system. One day it worked fine and then suddenly, the next day the A/C starting blowing warm air. Checked under the hood and the compressor is running smoothly, A/C clutch is engaging, the cooling fans are running, but the system doesn't cool and the refrigerant lines aren't getting cool either. I only have a low side gauge, so I checked the low side and it was reading 100 psi with the compressor running. I though maybe the system was low and tried to add refrigerant, but the system wouldn't take it.

I'll probably end up taking it to an A/C shop, but wanted to know if there is anything simple that I can check that I may be overlooking. Thanks.

John

#2 ·
The compressor is likely blown or the expansion valve as the pressure on the low side should drop from a higher level down to 20-35 psi.

The shop will likely replace three components and then charge the system. Compressor, Expansion Valve, and Dryer will be replaced.

The reason all three will be replaced is that it is less expensive to replace both the compressor and expansion valve than it is to try and diagnose which is the problem. The EV is worth less than the hour or two of labor involved in isolating the issue. The dryer will be replaced because it is supposed to be replaced if the system is opened.

My personal opinion would be to have a VW shop (not necessarily the dealer) do the work rather than a generic AC shop. When dealing with them, discuss which parts will be installed. Are they VW OEM parts? OEM parts are usually more expensive, quite a bit more in some cases, but they are usually of good quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.