NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 2.0 (engine code AEG) with 160k. Bought it last year and the passenger side cooling fan was broken. The AC would only kick in when driving above 30mph or so, or when the engine was revved above 3000rpm. I assumed it was because of the broken cooling fan. I didn't get around to fixing it until now. Replaced the cooling fan and it now comes on and runs when the AC button is on, but the compressor isn't kicking in. The engine revs slightly every ten seconds or so like it would a split second before the compressor would kick in.. but the compressor never does. It has freon. Any suggestions? :confused:

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
I have a 2000 2.0 (engine code AEG) with 160k. Bought it last year and the passenger side cooling fan was broken. The AC would only kick in when driving above 30mph or so, or when the engine was revved above 3000rpm. I assumed it was because of the broken cooling fan. I didn't get around to fixing it until now. Replaced the cooling fan and it now comes on and runs when the AC button is on, but the compressor isn't kicking in. The engine revs slightly every ten seconds or so like it would a split second before the compressor would kick in.. but the compressor never does. It has freon. Any suggestions? :confused:
When you say cooling fan do you mean the blower motor or the radiator fan?

If its the radiator fan your compressor is more likely toast. What was happening was the pressure was too high because of the extra heat in the lines and the compressor wouldn't kick on, when you were driving it was forcing a lot of air over the condenser which dropped the pressure enough to kick the compressor on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I replaced the radiator fan. I've been careful to not use the AC since I've had the car, knowing it would cause trouble. The clutch turns fine by hand, but I guess since it's not engaging that doesn't really mean anything. lol.
(BTW: Arrested Development... Best. Show. Ever!)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have this same exact problem! I guess I knew in the back of my mind I will need to buy a new compressor :rolleyes:

Jeff

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
I replaced the radiator fan. I've been careful to not use the AC since I've had the car, knowing it would cause trouble. The clutch turns fine by hand, but I guess since it's not engaging that doesn't really mean anything. lol.
(BTW: Arrested Development... Best. Show. Ever!)
Problem probably wasnt you but the previous owner, the radiator fans go out sometimes sporadically and can harm the compressor even though it still seems to be working.

And Yes, Arrested development was the best show ever created.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assumed I was looking at a new compressor... still clinging to the hope of a less expensive fix!

Lucille: "You want your belt to buckle... not your chair" lol:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the car to Firestone the other day to have them check the system before spending the money on a new compressor. They ran an electrical test and told me it was the fan control module (under the battery). They quoted me $275 to replace it. I told them to pull the car out and ring me up for the diagnosis.

Germanautoparts.com has the module for $60. It will be delivered tomorrow. Fingers crossed that's all it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts