NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 1.8T beetle. The AC has been cutting out. It switches between ice cold and warm musty air. So far I have replaced the cooling fan switch, cooling fan control module, coolant temp sensor, AC dryer, AC compressor, H block, and the thermal switch. I did the fan module and switch myself and after that didn't help I gave in and took it to a shop which resulted in a bill of nearly $1000 and of course no resolution. The shop seems to be a bit stuck trying to figure it out at the moment. I can jumper the fans and make them both run at both speeds, however I usually find the large fan not spinning when the AC cuts out. Any idea's as to what might be the issue? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
I had the same symptoms recently. In my case, it was a fuse. Surprised me.

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
I don't know exactly. The AC was a secondary issue to what I originally brought it in for. If you want, I can try to find out?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. no need to find out. that's ok. I was just curious. I've checked all the fuses that I think are related to the cooling fans and AC. All appear to be good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The fuse block on top of the battery will cause the symptoms you described. Pull the fused out and check for discoloration or burns. Also look at the wires where they connect. Replace the unit and fuses.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did check the fuse on top of the battery. no discoloration or melting on the fuse box. I replaced the fuse anyway. the fuse box was replaced last year after it melted.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You say you replaced the thermal switch, those DO go bad. It is only a2 pin connector and you can find out real fast if it's working or not, just jump the two wires together with a jumper wire, or a paper clip. Also, I have seen the high / low pressure switch go bad too. It doesn't really seem fair,to pay good money and have an AC that still doesn't work. The symptoms you're describing is exactly what I battled for about 3 months earlier this year,when I replace my entire air conditioning system also. It would work great for about 3 minutes,sometimes longer. Sometimes it would go 10 20 or 30 minutes, but when it stopped it would not work again until the car completely cooled off. Mine was the thermal switch, it is a2 pin Switch over there be on the side of the engine opposite of the air conditioner, located on the upper radiator hose, right next door to the other temperature switch that ALWAYS goes out! Hope you get it figured out, I know it is very frustrating having an AC that really blows cold, but only sometimes.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went though most of this too. Mine turned out to be the pressure transducer back toward the firewall. You can change it without dumping all the freon. It has a schrader valve on it.

Mine would not work at all for about 20 minutes then would fire up. Might work for a couple of days beyond that. Then nothing for the first 20 minutes or so of driving and bam, working again.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
My a/c on 2001 turbo isn't working either.we needed to replace temp sensor. Then all but level 4 of the ac stopped working. Then level four lets out a burst of cold air then nothing but warm air. We have checked the fuses, also the fuse box on top the a/c. Anyone have an idea? We have since replaced temp sensor... But ac still isn't working.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
replaced the large cooling fan and at the moment my ac seems to be working again. I had tested it before and it worked at both speeds although I would frequently find it not spinning. guess it was slowly dying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts