VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was the first time I had a passenger in the car.
This brought about the first time the passenger side window was operated.
The window went halfway down normally. Upon attempting to 'up' the window, it instead went down all the way and wouldn't go back up.

We went to our destination (junk yard) and then removed the inner door panel and disconnected and reconnected the plug at the motor, hoping there was a faulty connection. No change.
So, we removed the aluminum panel as much as possible, but with the window in the down position and the regulator trapped behind the door frame, it wasn't possible to remove completely.
I disconnected the motor from the panel and worked the switch.
The motor will only turn in the direction to bring the window down, even though it's disconnected from the regulator.

We were able to bring the window up all the way manually and then re-installed the motor to hold the glass in place.

I'm planning on addressing the problem later, but what concerns me is the fact that the motor will only work in the one direction, even with a known to be good switch connected to it.
I remember the old systems simply used a switch that reversed the polarity.

Any ideas what's up with this one?

I already went through the drivers' side, cleaning and lubricating the regulator and the window channels, as well as centering the glass in the regulator, which fixed the problem of it wanting to stick on the way up, occasionally reversing itself (pinch protection).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
100 views and no responses.:(

I narrowed it down to the motor.
Replaced it and lubed the window channels and all is good.

Here's hoping the remaining repairs go as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My passenger side window came out of it's track and messed up... we got it back in (I think) and I just won't try the switch again....

·
Registered
8 Posts
My bugs driver regulator went bad. It was a recall part so got fixed for free. It resulted in the window being stuck down. It sometimes did the reverse thing before it broke. The regulator cord was unhooked and wrapped all around the regulator system. It was a mess!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts