NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting my voltage regulator taken care of in the Pumpkin, I noticed a few times that after I've come home from work when the car is all turned off, I can hear what sounds like a fan still turning. It usually lasts for about three minutes. And it slows down more and more by the minute.

It also started about the same time, my a/c wasn't blowing as cold air as I'd like.

I don't know if it's connected. Probably not.

This is pretty intermitted kind of thing.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
If its really hot out, the fans will continue to run for a few minutes after the car shuts off. Perfectly normal. Its when it gets to 5, 10, 15+ minutes where there is an issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If its really hot out, the fans will continue to run for a few minutes after the car shuts off. Perfectly normal. Its when it gets to 5, 10, 15+ minutes where there is an issue.
Okay. Because my dad said when it's still going after the car is shut off and it does it more than 2 minutes that it may be a problem.

But I think it was only 3-4 minutes. It was hot & humid out. My glasses steamed up.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The fans are controlled by a thermal switch, and can not only continue to run when the engine is shut off, but actually start up after being shut off. Completely dependent on engine temperature, and it is absolutely normal for an engine to increase in temp after being turned off. When the engine is running and the car is moving, the temp is being lowered by the passage of air through the radiator, when the vehicle is stopped or the engine turned off, this air flow ceases and the engine warms, completely normal, and of course more prevalent during hot weather. 10 minutes would not be an unusually long time for these fans to run.

MORAV

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fans are controlled by a thermal switch, and can not only continue to run when the engine is shut off, but actually start up after being shut off. Completely dependent on engine temperature, and it is absolutely normal for an engine to increase in temp after being turned off. When the engine is running and the car is moving, the temp is being lowered by the passage of air through the radiator, when the vehicle is stopped or the engine turned off, this air flow ceases and the engine warms, completely normal, and of course more prevalent during hot weather. 10 minutes would not be an unusually long time for these fans to run.

MORAV
Thanks for the information. I feel a little better about it now. It's been pretty hot and humid for a little over a month.

I was worried that the fan running for 4 minutes was pretty long time and that it wasn't normal.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Tonight, the fan went on for like at least close to 15 min and still running (But the fan was running slowly) but I couldn't sit in my car any longer, timing how long til I didn't hear it anymore. After the first minute or two, it'd been slowing down.

It was only about 82 degrees. Humidity 66% according to the weather channel application on my phone. So It's not unreasonably hot.

I only notice this happening when I come home from work. which is strange. because I don't really have a long drive home from work. It's just a 4-5min drive. But on the way home it's more like a 5-7 minute drive.(That's when it happens most times. when I'm driving back home from work.) I haven't noticed it happening any other time.

When I drove from home to work and then work from home, I noticed that the coolant light didn't stay on as long. it turned off quicker than normal when I drove to work and when I drove home 4 hours later. Because coolant light turns on(for a few minutes) when I start the car unless I'd just been driving the car.

·
Seems Logical.
36 Posts
My bug does the same thing. I only notice it when i come home from work, it sounds like fans or possibly the engine still running just not at full capacity. I wait for a minute to see if it stops and if it doesnt stop between the time i allow it to and when i get impatient i hop back in turn the car on, then turn it off again. that method hasnt done me wrong. it seems to turn it off. it doesnt happen regularly but enough to have me concerned.

·
Seems Logical.
36 Posts
Assuming you are directing that question towards me, i have a 2002 turbo (2L 4 cyl?) i cant remember exactly but i believe there is only one form of the turbo for that year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts