NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bug is losing water and I'm not sure where. I have taken a look and I don't see it leaking anywhere. It has been doing this for about two months now. The car runs GREAT so I didn't think it was a big deal. I'm going to get a flush soon with actual coolant. Every other week or so, the red temp light flashes after the car starts up. It then goes away after about 20 seconds. After I pop the hood and add water, it goes away. First off the round reservoir, is that ALL the car holds? I mean I thought it held more than that, it doesn't go empty but maybe down to 30% or so.

I'm also getting the p0411 code, which went away for a long time after I replaced the Cat. Have any of you dealt with this code?

And last, and certainly least at this point, what are your recommendations on headlight lens cleaning. Have you done it? What did you use?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
That round reservoir is just an overflow/reserve tank. When it gets low the sensor that's in the tank will send a signal to your dash and the light start flashing.
Perhaps your Reservoir tank is faulty and leaking? Or Maybe the sensor is bad? You could try and replace the tank (which comes with a new sensor) and see if that solves your problem.
Coolant can leak from many different places. Anywhere from the heart valve to the temp sensor to the radiator itself. Sometimes difficult to trace.

Your p0411 code is the code for the SAI Pump. It's probably leaking and you can take it off and repair it if it is the one with the rivets. If it is just the glued kind you will need to replace it.

I have used the Mequires lens cleaning kit and it worked pretty well. Also it never hazed up again like on some kits. I did however had to do it more than once. I did each headlight 3 times and after that it did look a lot better.
There might be other kits out there. I just didn't want to use sand paper on the headlights like some other kits use. The Mequires kit seemed a lot safer in my opinion.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4847&promoCode=MEGFGS49WEBPAYPC&kw={keyword}&gclid=CLnK27-LgrQCFcU-MgodyAUAQg

You may find it cheaper at Walmart or Meijers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4847&promoCode=MEGFGS49WEBPAYPC&kw={keyword}&gclid=CLnK27-LgrQCFcU-MgodyAUAQg

You may find it cheaper at Walmart or Meijers.
Thanks for the help. I'm going to have the sensor for the water temp replaced, and I'll have the SAI looked at.

I'll keep you posted.

Also, thanks for the links. Really helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought my 98 as a basket case and it also was losing water. Could not see any spots on the ground where it sat. Crawled under it and noticed that there was what looked like dried water marks coming from above the front crankshaft pulley. It was leaking from the water pump shaft seal. I was doing the timing belt and the water pump replace anyway. Must have been leaking when it got hot and under pressure while driving. Might look there.
These cars cool a lot with the engine coolant. My 98 auto has heat exchangers for the auto trans fluid and for the engine oil. The heart valve that has been mentioned and multiple other hose connections and sensor o rings to check. There are also o rings on the plastic connectors where the upper and lower radiator hoses attach to the radiator.

Did my headlights with 1200 grit sandpaper and some polishing compound. Pulled them from the car and lightly wet sanded them with the 1200 grit paper and a little water. Kind of looks like a milky slurry while sanding. Rinsed them with the hose and then used no.7 polishing compound with a drill and apolishing pad. Worked good and cheaper than the kits you buy. Think I had like 6 bucks in everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts