NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday I had the honor of spending time with incredible friends. We got together to do the timing belt/water pump change on my car. We were doing this because I could barely scrape together the approximately $300 for the parts. No way could I pay for the labor to have it done.

Eeyore drove 2 hours from Columbus to be there and worked darn hard for most of 10 hours. Don_n_Herbie took off work, led the way through the job, did the toughest parts, and was there to the end and even followed me home on the turnpike to make sure we had worked out the last of the problems. Fowvay put me up for the night, offered his immense knowlege base, and helped solve numerous little snafus. Mrs_Fowvay carted me around in the early am so my car could cool off at the garage and made sure we all had food. Wawalker showed up and stood in as the worlds best parts and bolts hanger onto-er.:biglaugh: Bugman sent a tensioning tool that we never did figure out how to employ.:confused:

Thanks to all of you. Wink is terrific. As he cruises the highways at 80mph he purrs along as if powered by a fine Russian jet turbine engine.;) As I started the trip home I was confident that we had done the job right but worried, as I am a worrier, that another snafu would pop up. Halfway home I started breathing normally and the worry went away. What replaced the worry was an appreciation for the quality of the freindship and generousity given to me. I got all teary eyed and as I type this it is happening again.

You have my most heartfelt thanks and I hope that you will call on me when I can help you out in any way.

You are true friends, none could be better.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
awwww, what a nice story! thanks for sharing it with us! now tom, when are you going to drive to iowa and hook me up? i promise a futon and some cheese nips. :D

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
callisto9 said:
awwww, what a nice story! thanks for sharing it with us! now tom, when are you going to drive to iowa and hook me up? i promise a futon and some cheese nips. :D

Wow Cheese Nips, bummer you probably mean those lil crackers and not what my durty wittle mind visualized :devil:

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
NB people are the best! :)

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
Dave, anything for a true friend. and I will answer the call again in another 70k if need be. I had an enjoyable time.

the tensioner tool was not made for the 1.8t. it will only work on the 2.0 & TDI tenstioners (iirc) as they are of a different design than yours.

You are welcome.

Aaron

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
This is what makes the .org, completely different from other "groups/websites" IMHO, even with the greatest differences in life´s outlook, I think we are people who at the core like to help others and are service oriented. Caring is our middle name....

good job...

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
That displays the true spirit of the Org - much more than the banter and squalling in the threads. Here's to you all.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
mgwerks said:
That displays the true spirit of the Org - much more than the banter and squalling in the threads. Here's to you all.
So when are we TDI's getting together to do this!:D

Great job guys!

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
Another reason why I love coming here. Everyone is more than just helpful. I've met a handful of cool people and I look forward to meeting more. Everyone is so awesome! :goodjob:

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
It's posts like these and members like these that keep me around the org. Cheers to you all for lending a hand to those in need! :toast:

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Wow, you don't hear many stories like that. It reminds me of all the great people that I served with in the Army. You just don't bump into a lot of people like that in life, but glad you did! To everyone who helped, great job! Now, only if the rest of society could catch on..........

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Brought a tear to my eye. What a great group of folks.

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A little more.

I'm a bit overdue in thanking a couple other friends. I made my first long road trip in "Wink" last weekend. Drove to Rhode Island for my Grandmas 90th birthday. Thanks to The Cheat for the great construction and traffic avoidance directions. I'll use your air traffic control services anytime.;)

I hooked up with Technotrix'd on my way back home. Back in August at WAWalkers camping gtg he and I talked about my custom hood paint job that I am determined to pull off someday. He let on that he had a spare hood that he was willing to let me borrow while I took mine off and into a paint shop. Well since money is tight and I have no idea when that situation is going to change we agreed to simply trade hoods. His was a white one and getting some white in the front of my car is partly the motivation for the custom paint job, so I am now sporting an all white hood thanks to Technotrix'd. I'm honored to know that Winks old hood will be put to good modified use on the race tracks with a few custom vent holes in it. Hope it helps carry speed through some nice fast corners. Rob also brought his Vag-com and we read the codes for a CEL that popped on the trip. I had a great time working with Rob, he's a great, easy going, really smart guy. (sweet 1.8t too!) Wish I lived closer.

Thanks guys.

:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts