VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my mother this car four years ago give or take and have only had a couple of mechanical issues that I consider to be routine maintenance up to this point.

So my mother is 77 yrs old and somehow lost her key and even though I bought her a spare key to have cut and programed for some reason she never did it well I called the local stealership and they said Volkswagen doesn't have anyway to make her a key because they only keep records or something for a certain amount of time.

This can't be correct can it ? I would appreciate any help that could be sent my way....I"ve just never heard of such a thing.

Thanks in advance Tom

�🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

·
Registered
181 Posts
I thought the key programmer gets the info for a new key from plugging a device into the OBD port and getting a reading of the frequency from the car itself?

If you can't get another key somehow...then I think you'll have to get another full lock set and matching key - along with the instrument cluster from the car
that the replacement key and locks came from.

·
Registered
18,591 Posts
Here are the basics: VW Key Fob Programming Guide

The quickest and easiest way to go; would be to have a local auto locksmith come out and make a new key, do any needed programming. Job done and least hassle. Call around to the auto locksmiths in your area; get estimates and go with someone you know or see, who can do the work at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Billymade is right and gave good advice...a locksmith is your best bet.

Volkswagen can sell you a new blank key FOB...but can't physically cut a key - and can only do the
programming part.

If Volkswagen don't believe they can do it - you should find a locksmith that can do automotive key
programming...one that can do VW/Audi keys.

Ask them then if they can program a key if you don't have an original...they might just need to come
out to your car to get the key code or frequency to program a blank.

I once had a mobile locksmith come out to my house and cut a key for the front door on site - without
having a sample to copy from...as I'd lost my house keys.
So maybe it's the same thing with car keys?
If you can also locate a locksmith that can cut a key on site - without an example key...as long as you
have the lock - maybe even the same people who can program the key.

I'd be surprised if you rang around a few locksmiths...and couldn't get sorted.

All the best. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Billymade is right and gave good advice...a locksmith is your best bet.

Volkswagen can sell you a new blank key FOB...but can't physically cut a key - and can only do the
programming part.

If Volkswagen don't believe they can do it - you should find a locksmith that can do automotive key
programming...one that can do VW/Audi keys.

Ask them then if they can program a key if you don't have an original...they might just need to come
out to your car to get the key code or frequency to program a blank.

I once had a mobile locksmith come out to my house and cut a key for the front door on site - without
having a sample to copy from...as I'd lost my house keys.
So maybe it's the same thing with car keys?
If you can also locate a locksmith that can cut a key on site - without an example key...as long as you
have the lock - maybe even the same people who can program the key.

I'd be surprised if you rang around a few locksmiths...and couldn't get sorted.

All the best. :)
I just bought an extra key with attached remote from the dealer. It was the beginning of last summer. Through the dealership.
They took note of my year 2004 convertible and the Vin number. Took less than a week for the key to arrive at the dealership. They programed my remote and off I went

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just bought an extra key with attached remote from the dealer. It was the beginning of last summer. Through the dealership.
They took note of my year 2004 convertible and the Vin number. Took less than a week for the key to arrive at the dealership. They programed my remote and off I went
What did they do about cutting the key? In the past when I've enquired about getting a spare key from my local VW dealerships...they said they can order in a blank
key/remote, and program it...but said they couldn't actually cut they key - and I'd have to take it to a locksmith to have that part done.

Perhaps things work differently in the USA with how VW do you a spare key?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts