NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks ! Not many folks have made any comments about the build. There's really not a perfect section, or heading to post something like this on the Forum yet.
Stay tuned, as I have some special ideas that I plan to include into the Ute ! As the body work progresses, my posts may slack off due to the time it takes. Not much to take picts of with body work. I'll keep posting as progress is made. Thanks again

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey - Thanks ! I appreciate your support. I've worked with fiberglass body's before, and I'm just a little disappointed with the panels in this kit. Oh, the fiberglass quality is good, and the panels are plenty solid and thick enough, but the gel coat really could be better. I've got a lot of little wiggles and dips that will take hours to sand out. Many years ago I restored a 1963 Studebaker Avanti. I had the body bead blasted, and the fiberglass in the body was a lot straighter than what I have here today. Back then, Studebaker's Avanti body's were made by the same factory that was making the Corvette body's. I bought a gallon of a high quality body filler that is supposed to NOT leave any pin holes. After I sand the gel coat with #120 grit paper, I'll coat the entire fiberglass area with the body filler. Then I'll wet sand that by hand with # 320 paper. Of course, most of the filler will end up on the floor in a mess, but all the low spots will be filled in. Then I should be able to fill in the balance with filler primer, with wet sanding between each coat. Lots of hours ahead before any color goes on !

·
Registered
554 Posts
As an 18 tear old kid I had my first experience wet sanding, I wasn’t impressed and have avoided it since. My hats off to your patience and attention to detail.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts