VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I removed the drivers side a pillar trim and top part of the dash. I vacuumed up all the leaves. Is there supposed to be some sort of tube from the a pillar to the hole underneath? See pictures. Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Hood Green Water Tints and shades Floor Automotive window part

The pictures are for the drivers side.

I can pour a small amount of water into the top left corner and it drains into the area shown in the second picture and eventually makes its way to the ground.

I tried the same water trick on the passenger side and the water eventually come out under neath the car. However I was getting random drops from the edge of the trim.

I think the drains are good unless I have a hole in the passenger front drain or something else is leaking.

Help?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What else could be leaking?

I don't think the sunroof drains are my problem when it comes to the reason my drivers side rear floorboard gets soaking wet when it rains.

I took the top dash apart and vacuumed out leaves and debris. Not too bad of a buildup.

I can pour some water into the drains and water eventually makes it way to the ground.

Here's the confusing part-while I had the passenger A Pillar trim off, I tried the small amount of water in the front of the sunroof drain.

What I got was water making its way to the ground inside the fenderwell. What concerns me is the drips of water coming from up on the a pillar, not a lot mind you, but a couple of drops non the less.

Where else can I check to find out why my drivers side rear floorboard is getting wet?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Have you tried cleaning your drains?

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=new beetle drain cleaning

There was also a recall; that was supposedly done to make the drains clog less. I took mine in and had it done for free, you might check with your dealer, see if yours was done. There was a lawsuit; at one point, vw offered to refund repairs and associated costs, I got some mail about it... that was years ago, however.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty sure the drains are cleaned. I spent most of the morning taking things apart to check the most likely culprits of drains plugging. Didn't find any debris in mine.

The last time I was at the dealer they cleaned the drains (supposedly). They charged me for doing it. I think I'm outside of the recall/damage time but I will check.

I'm just trying the obvious before I go shell out another $300+ at the dealer. The last trip in was over 2 grand when I first got the beetle. I can't afford any more bills like that one! I am trying to learn to work in it myself because I can't and won't sink that much more money in his car even if it is a blast to drive and saves me on mileage on my other vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I am totally with you on the vw dealer; I did have the recall done for free, so its worth checking out if you can have the service done under the recall.

Here is a diy that might be helpful; I think, people have used plastic weedeater line to run through the drains and unclog them.

How to Clean Sunroof Drains w/ pictures! - TDIClub Forums

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done the drain clean out. I didn't get any debris or trash out of the drains. I believe the drains are good. Just trying to find out what else could be leaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts