NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Beetle which I love, but I also am very happy it's paid for. I replaced the Cat Converter back in 2008 - got a rebuilt Cat, which I had to replace AGAIN at the mechanic's cost that time. Now my CEL is coming on again, showing the code for the Cat. I understand this is an emissions thing, and unless I have an extensive test done, there is no danger to my car and I can keep happily driving it. But someone told me that it could affect gas mileage, which is also very important to me, at 3.67/gallon right now, and I do love to drive. Anyone have any knowledge on this? thanks!!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
You bought a rebuilt or aftermarket?

I would get a legit cat, even aftermarket. If its rebuilt, that's probably your problem. Not something I've really heard of before.

If its an aftermarket, you likely have something else causing your cat failures.

·
Registered
746 Posts
You bought a rebuilt or aftermarket?

I would get a legit cat, even aftermarket. If its rebuilt, that's probably your problem. Not something I've really heard of before.

If its an aftermarket, you likely have something else causing your cat failures.
I've never heard of a "rebuilt cat" either. In the past, whenever I've replaced one on one of my cars, I've just gotten a new one from the local parts store. For them, I was able to make "generic" aftermarket cat's work. Unfortunately, from what I've seen online, the one for the New Beetle looks pretty complicated, and pretty expensive.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
I had an aftermarket one put on my car last year. Cost less than $200 installed. No problems since. I just took it to a muffler shop (recommended by my mechanic, but they were good, fast, and cheap).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, sorry, I suppose it was an aftermarket? At any rate, I thought I got a better one the second time. My real question is whether I should even bother with this. How long is a replacement cat supposed to last anyway? I paid over $300 for the replacement, and would rather spend the money on other things.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
Mine has been on the car since last January with no issues. Should last awhile. You likely have some other reason causing the cat failure.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
What is the code you are getting?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having trouble with my cat converter...do you think if I buy one online I can just bring it into a muffler shop and have them install it? Because I went to a mechanic and they wanted to charge me $900 for parts and labor but I think thats a little ridiculous

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Not to hijack the O.P. thread, but take the car to a exhaust shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts