VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have sorted out a few 1.8t engines that were sludged. Oil pick ups replaced and oil pan cleaned out.

However, I have seen a few of these vehicles back with a reoccurring problems. Turns out you really need to do more to clean up these 1.8t engines that have had sludge and deposit problems.

The top of the engine is likely the real culprit. The problem is the valve cover is not so easy to access and remove, not difficult, but a lot of busy work and moving and disconnecting things.

I find that between 15-20k miles after cleaning up the bottom end of the motor the oil pick up can and will become restricted AGAIN. Not the end of the world as the oil pan is not so hard to removed, but you need to beware of what is going on.

I also think the PCV system is questionable on these cars and many have never had the PCV valve replaced based on where it is located.

Best to actually remove the oil pan, clean it and the original restricted oil pick up out the best you can, the remove the valve cover and clean up the top side of the engine the best you can. I would put the original cleaned up oil pick up back in and put the oil pan back on. You can just leave the original silicon in place because you will be pulling things apart again. I would save the initial oil drain and then reuse if after straining and actually put the oil back in the engine with a quart of the Motor Medic MFD1 Synthetic Motor Flush. I would drive the car easily for at least 25-50 miles with this Motor Medic in the crankcase to really clean things the best you can before draining the crankcase and replacing the oil pick up and probably the oil pump with new replacements. You can find decent Febi oil pumps usually marked down and they appear as good as an OE pump IHMO.

This is the product, but it is TOO expensive on Amazon. Your local parts store, Advance or AutoZone probably has this for about $9.

Amazon.com: Motor Medic by Gunk MFD1 Synthetic Motor Flush - 32 oz.: Automotive

To clean up the oil pan, windage tray, intake cam covers and valve cover, I would HIGHLY recommend Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner in the blue can. Your local grocery store should carry it and this stuff works wonders on sludgy and caked on oil film and build up. Spray it and let is stand for 30+ minutes. If needed, you can use a brush to help clean the heavier stuff. It pretty much melts and dissolves the caked on oil/sludge. You can wipe it down as well as rinse with a hose when all is done. The windage tray and intake cam covers look almost new after cleaning with Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner!

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Off-Fume...1462373893&sr=8-4&keywords=easy+off+fume+free

You want to try and get as much of the flaky and built up sludge/deposits out of the engine as possible because this flaky, hard, carbon type of deposits are what causes the oil pick up to become restricted. You may be able to salvage an oil pick up using the Easy Off Oven Cleaner and multiple cleaning attempts, but or the $40 or less the pick up costs, not sure how much effort it is worth putting on to trying the clean up a restricted oil pick up.

Then I run a full size oil filter on the 1.8t so I can run a full 5 quarts of oil. But I would use 1 quart of Rislone Engine Treatment for most oil changes moving forward.

Amazon.com: Rislone 100QR Engine Treatment - 32 oz.: Automotive

It is amazing how much abuse these 1.8t motors can take and still keep running. If you can get on the sludge problem fast enough and DO NOT ignore the oil pressure light. It really is telling you something is most likely wrong with the oil pressure.

Clean the original oil pick up, clean out the oil pan and valve cover, run the engine after the valve cover has been cleaned and the top of the engine has been cleaned and allow all the garbage to be washed back down in the oil pan before you change the oil pick up and button everything back up for good.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Check out this video; looks like allot of work but they have found a systematic approach to removing the sludge. The Audi shown; seems to be one of the most notorious of the cars with the 1.8T sludge problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFOqW0x7oiI

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have thought about some way to pump solvent through the motor from the oil filter. But I think at the end of the day I would rather pull the oil pan more than once. Pulling the oil pan is MUCH easier on the New Beetle with the transverse engine than the other configurations.

At the end of the day, best to be safe if the oil pressure light comes on and address any problem with the oil pick up and pull the valve cover and clean the engine the best you can.

But yea, the video looks like a lot of work to try and clean everything.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
oil flush

@jfoj, To do a flush and if you don't have the full size oil filter but only using a regular filter than you just put 3 quarts of regular oil and one quart of the Motor Medic MFD1 Synthetic Motor flush? The capacity is 3.8 quarts of oil I believe.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure with the smaller/standard oil filter that the application calls for the total oil capacity is like 4.8 quarts. With the larger filter 5 quarts no problem.

If the oil capacity is 3.8 quarts, this would really be catastrophic!

Too bad VW did not figure out how to make these cars hold 6 quarts, then the oil contamination problem would have probably been less of a problem except when it came to weak thermostats and low engine operating temperatures!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Pretty sure with the smaller/standard oil filter that the application calls for the total oil capacity is like 4.8 quarts. With the larger filter 5 quarts no problem.

If the oil capacity is 3.8 quarts, this would really be catastrophic!

Too bad VW did not figure out how to make these cars hold 6 quarts, then the oil contamination problem would have probably been less of a problem except when it came to weak thermostats and low engine operating temperatures!
I'll double check my manual tonight I thought I read the capacity for my car was 3.8 QTR. Every time I change my oil I don't go by capacity I just fill it until it's at the correct marking per the dipstick.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
correct

4.2l or 4.4 qt.

This is why I run an oversize filter with a full 5 quarts.
You are correct my friend the oil capacity is 4.8 in my car. So to clarify my original question than I put 3.8 quarts of regular oil and 1 quart of the Motor Medic MFD1 flush? Does that sound about right? I don't have sludge issues right now but will consider doing this in the near future.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most owners, like myself will run 5 quarts of oil when using the larger Passat style oil filter.

Depending on what you are trying to clean up, you could use the Motor Medic Synthetic Engine Flush MFD1 for short use or consider using Risolne Engine Oil Treatment 100QR substituted for 1 quart of oil at the time of an oil change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts