NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that has purchased an '06 NB needs to be aware of a potential problem with the Electronic Immobilizer that could cause you to be left high and dry. My '06 NB TDI is in the shop for the second time, and it may be there a few weeks to a month or two because it seems the fix for this issue is a complete new instrument cluster - that, according to VW Customer Service, is on national backorder and they have no idea when they will be available.

Seems that something is causing the reader coils to malfunction, or in my case, go out completely. Without it your keys cannot be recognized and therefore the car will not run. VW has said nothing officially that I'm aware of, but I have seen a number of reports from across the country of other '06 NB owners experiencing the same problem.

Anyway, just be aware.

-dave

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Just in time foe the 07s to be perfect if you ask me. I'm still debating if i will trade in the FineExamplMobile next year. My heart says keep it, but my greed says trade it.

I remember when the first NBs were having growing pains. I'm very happy i was forced to wait til 02. I got exactly what i wanted with minimal problems.

Good luck 06ers! Stick with it.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fowvay said:
Seriously I hope they fix this one quick. VW doesn't need another black eye. :(
Well that has already started. I'm asked everyday by friends and co-wokers - where is your new car? In the shop. What's wrong with it? Don't know for sure, but it's not driveable. When will you get it back? I have no idea :(

Word spreads quickly, especially when it's bad.

-dave

·
Go Sox!
82 Posts
Most states have a lemon law which says that if the car is out of service for more than 30 days for the same problem in the first year, VW has to buy it back.

·
Go Sox!
82 Posts
From the OK Lemon Law:

It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to conform a motor vehicle to the applicable express warranties, if (1) the same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents or authorized dealers within the express warranty term or during the period of one (1) year following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever is the earlier date, but such nonconformity continues to exist or (2) the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of forty-five (45) or more calendar days during such term or during such period, whichever is the earlier date. The term of an express warranty, such one-year period and such forty-five-day period shall be extended by any period of time during which repair services are not available to the consumer because of a war, invasion, strike or fire, flood or other natural disaster.

So if they can't fix it within 4 repair attempts or if it's out of service for more than 45 days, you can get your money back, less an allowance for the number of miles you were able to put on the car before first notifying them of the problem.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Let me investigate around here witha friend with good conections at the Plant, maybe ther eis a problem not with the hardware per se but on the software of the ECU/Cluster.

Hope this is not widespread, because they are pouring 2.5 NB by the truckload...

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
It appears to be temperature related. Car drives just fine when it is warm outside. Once the weather cools down, the cluster shuts down never to wake up again.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem lies in the instrument cluster. Don't know exactly what it is, but cold weather seems to causing some components to fail. The only fix is an updated replacement instrument cluster - and those are about as rare as hen's teeth right now. VW is building the stock up as quickly as they can I guess, Just one of those problems that shouldn't happen, but do.

If you have an '06 NB, you need to get this checked out - even if you haven't had any problems. That's just my opinion of course, VW has not issued any type of bulletin that I'm aware of.

-dave

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
FineExampl said:
Just in time foe the 07s to be perfect if you ask me. I'm still debating if i will trade in the FineExamplMobile next year. My heart says keep it, but my greed says trade it.
Why trade your car in for one that isn't as nice.

They didn't do the new bumpers by choice, it was required by law to have those massive bumpers this time around.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
What is especially worrisome is this redesign was just a minor facelift (different body panels, different powerplant, slight interior changes)... and there are still problems. It's not like the 2006 is a "new" model.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Actually, it seems that it may be more than a minor facelift. The salescritter told me that the '06 is one inch (2.5cm) wider and longer. I don't know if that's on the same old chassis, but for sure the body panels (including, one assumes, the instrument panel) is all new.

·
Go Sox!
82 Posts
Just got an update from my dealer that my 2006 TDI NB is still on hold and has not yet arrived. He says VW is replacing all the instrument clusters on the NB's before they leave the factory, and that's what's causing the delay.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
This is an interesting thread. My 01 TDI had the same problem. after several attempts by my worthless dealer to correct the problem I started looking into it myself, hoping to find a loose connection or something. I found that the instrument cluster had been replaced in the spring of 02 (before I bought it used). After those several attempts my dealer replaced my cluster with a brand spanklin' new one dated 7-03. this did not fix the problem.

I'd say it's several years too late for a quick fix.

·
Nerds On Site
32 Posts
I spoke too soon, as of yesterday my car let me down, would not start, and of course they said it should be there sometime this week and i'll have my car back. Until then i'm driving a POS Chevrolet Cobalt :(

1 - 20 of 70 Posts