VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
High mileage driver found
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my '99 TDI, Zeke... 550,000 km and still going very strong. I've been a Beetle nut since I was born, and also have a few classic air cooled Bugs which I have restored.

Wheels are 15" TSWs I found on a Subaru Forester... spoiler and front corner splitters to come soon!

Does anyone still make the corner splitters? I remember they were pretty popular when the car first came out, but haven't seen them around for a while.

·
Super Moderator
14,877 Posts
Looks good for the mileage! Keep up the good work! :party:

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Kamei made the splitters, I haven't looked for them in a while, but they might still exist.

Your paint is in much better shape than mine...just for fun, could you snap a pic of your speedo?

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ignore the warning lights :D

Attachments

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,608 Posts
Very impressive! I've only got about 413,000 km (around 257,000 mi) on my '99, and I think he's finally starting to show his age. What kind of issues has Zeke given you?

Thanks so much for sharing!

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been such a great, reliable little car, too. Even the clutch is original!

As for the warning lights, yeah, I've just gotten used to them. My parking brake/brake warning light occasionally starts flashing and beeping at me randomly too. Haven't found a reason for this one yet.

·
Semi-Lurk Mode: GOOOOO
2,843 Posts
Out of curiosity, how do you do on mileage? I don't think I've ever seen a NB with that much on the clock!

Also, how much of the engine is original? Injectors, flywheel, etc?

Man, I LOVE high mileage cars!

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And one taken this morning...

Attachments

·
Bug me again!
2,759 Posts
Congrats! :party: Your bug is very impressive to see - I've always said these cars age well. BTW, are you from the Campbellford close to the Ferris Provincial Park? If so, then I've been there and it's a real pretty town :)

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zeke's repairs have been limited to 2 steering racks, front wheel bearings, a starter, two batteries, a few sets of ball joints, serpentine belt idler pulley and a few air flow sensors... engine is virtually untouched, clutch is original, tranny is original and so is the whole exhaust system. Oh and the bulb in the right taillight has never been changed, either! hahaha...

I average about 58-62 mpg on the highway which I definitely can't complain about...

(Oh, and LadybugEwa... yep, that's the same Campbellford. I love it here!)

·
Old & New Beetles
2,243 Posts
Hi Aaron!

I have got a -99 TDI Beetle also. I like it very much :D
I has only 98000 kms at the odometer, so I think I should be able to drive it for a long time...

I is nice to hear that You has achieved such a honorable amount of kilometres with Your NB so far :)

I am not "afraid" of cars wich has got a great mileage.
My former car was old, gasoline engined Toyota, which I drove 8years and over 500000 kms before I sold it.

Btw, I have got a old Bug too! It was my first car and I still got it :thup:

·
beetle driver for life
1,150 Posts
From one high mileage owner to another congratulations. When did you have to replace your bearings and were they front or back or both? I have 173,400 something on the clock and I just started hearing wheel bearing noise.

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Front wheel bearings had to be changed around 350,000 while the rears are still original... however, I'm starting to get a bit of noise from the left rear, so I'm guessing I'll be replacing that in a few weeks. The tires ARE the wrong size, but they came on those rims, and have a lot of life left in them, so I'll rock them for a bit. They're 205/70R15's. I'd like to get some nicer and probably 17" rims in the spring anyhow.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.