NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Driver found.
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give it a try and we'll see if that thing is woth it or not. I made lots of vagcom logruns before the swap, so hopefully we can compare the stock and abd manifold.
It's NOT plug and play, you have to reroute nearly all vacuume lines. I took my time as I removed the manfifold, injectors, fuel rail... for the first time. It took me about 6 hours. Now everything is in its place but I need a piece of hose for completion. So on monday I hope to start her.

Quality: average, I had to dremel a lot of stuff out of the runners, the threads are sometimes a bit off. But which aftermarket part is perfect? Tool time...

The runners of the abd manifold are bigger and 1 inch shorter than stock.

Attachments

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
idk if i like it yet... i really want billys new prototype manni... it has adj. runners and adj v-stack.... and does it really matter 4 u for the vac hoses i only use 2 the big bung and one small one.

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Don't forget to put on a NewSouth PowerGasket or something like it while you have it all apart.

Nice little mod that helps keep the intake metal temps down, which reduces the intake air temps.

Nothing huge, but it does work and is effective. Pics on the vacuum re-rout please (thxs).

BTW, your car RRAAAAAWWWKKKKKSSS...:clap:

Thanks....TechnoTrix'd....:wave3:

·
502 Posts
your making me look bad... i need to get cracken!!!!! and i dk if i like the new south power gasket i buned one up but the new one seeems to be fine idk lol

·
Driver found.
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
v-dubed said:
your making me look bad... i need to get cracken!!!!! and i dk if i like the new south power gasket i buned one up but the new one seeems to be fine idk lol
Your FMIC makes mine look like stock :p

btw I had the newsouth gasket laying around for at least 1.5 years - if I would buy one now I would choose the other I forgot the brand was it eurosport?

Oh and thx for the compliments - I'll pass it on to my bug...

·
502 Posts
only one i know of is newsouth.... might be able to make a hondata one work lol...

·
Registered
111 Posts
the other one is Evo Sport, which is actually two stock gaskets, a thick true phenolic spacer, and longer bolts. Its twice the price of the newsouth but you won't have any danger of melting.

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Scarab_Beetle said:
the other one is Evo Sport, which is actually two stock gaskets, a thick true phenolic spacer, and longer bolts. Its twice the price of the newsouth but you won't have any danger of melting.
Melting is bad, very bad.

Hadn't heard of this, but then their are a lot of wrong way's to install it. If someone over torques the bolts for example, then you get the gaping and air passing over the material as it leaks, which could lead to an overheating situation.

99.9% of the time, it's ultimately installation error that causes these types of product failures...:wink2:

I'll check-out the Evo Sport though, good to know of alternative products.

Thanks.....TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Lony said:
I give it a try and we'll see if that thing is woth it or not. (snip)..

Quality: average, I had to dremel a lot of stuff out of the runners, the threads are sometimes a bit off. But which aftermarket part is perfect? Tool time...

The runners of the abd manifold are bigger and 1 inch shorter than stock.
BTW, I have an ABD Tip and an ABD lower intercooler pipe on my pod. Have had no problems with fit-n-finish, installed very easily and everything lined up as it was supposed to. My 'personal' experience with ABD has been very good.

I will be in the intake and exhaust manifold market before next race season, so please post any logruns that you do and show us the comparison vs. the old logruns.

Thanks....TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Before installing it PAINT IT

looka awesome....

Attachments

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
v-dubed said:
your asposed to put liquid gasket on the powergasket
correct. It appears that the best way to install these "plastic" gaskets is dry. I did use one OEM gasket on the heat or engine side, and have had zero problems with it.

TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Pulgamovil said:

looka awesome....
Damm, that is one sweet looking engine bay...:bigthumb:

·
Driver found.
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pulgamovil said:

looka awesome....
That is a really nice engine bay. Who makes this manifold? I know some tt guys who would be interested...

btw I don't know if painting a polsihed piece is a good idea :rolleyes:

I made the lase log runs today... pics and charts will follow in a couple of hours - stay tuned :cool:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts