NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am new to the forum and about to purchase my first second hand new beetle. I am tossing up between a 2007 that's done 60,000kms and a 2004 that's done 80,000 - both are automatic.

The '04 will set me back less one thousand dollars but I felt like the automatic transmission was already a little slow and it's done more miles BUT it has full VW service history.

The '07 seems pretty perfect apart from a very small and very new oil leak. The oil leak was not picked up in the last service - has VW service history until 2009 but the last couple years servicing has just been done by a local mechanic but the interior and exterior are spotless.

I am just after any advice on offer. If there was a small oil leak is this a big issue to repair? Are there any known problems with '07 or '04 beetles?

Thanks in advance,

Jane

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Welcome to the org!!! Hope you find all that you are looking for here. When you do find your perfect beetle you must keep us posted and give us some pictures to drool over though :rolleyes:

I wish I had the knowledge/experience to help you with some answers. My guess would be the 2007. Older models had crummy automatic trannys. I am sure that the experts will chime in and tell you the complete low down on both years and their quirks ;)

Have fun with your search :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hi there,

I am new to the forum and about to purchase my first second hand new beetle. I am tossing up between a 2007 that's done 60,000kms and a 2004 that's done 80,000 - both are automatic.

The '04 will set me back less one thousand dollars but I felt like the automatic transmission was already a little slow and it's done more miles BUT it has full VW service history.

The '07 seems pretty perfect apart from a very small and very new oil leak. The oil leak was not picked up in the last service - has VW service history until 2009 but the last couple years servicing has just been done by a local mechanic but the interior and exterior are spotless.

I am just after any advice on offer. If there was a small oil leak is this a big issue to repair? Are there any known problems with '07 or '04 beetles?

Thanks in advance,

Jane
I would most definitely go with the 2007 for two reasons. Even thou they have both the 6 speed tiptronic transmissions the 2007 has an updated version which is improved from the pre 2006 units. Second and most important the 2007 has a much better engine which requires a lot less maintenance than the 2004 engine does. I assume the 2007 has the 2.5 5 cylinder motor which has a timing chain opposed to the High Maintenance timing belt on the 2004 Beetle. The 2004 may be cheaper to purchase but it will cost you more in the long run. So for me this would be a no brainer decission. 2007 FTW. :bigthumb:

I wouldn't worry about the small oil leak on the 2007. More than likely it was caused by an overeager Oil Change grease monkey that overtightened the Oil drain plug in the soft aluminum oil pan. Also most of those Quicky Oil change places do not replace the "One time Use" Oil drain Plug and gasket.
You can get away using the Oil drain plug more than once but you should always, ALWAYS use a new gasket. If they overtighten the plug over and over then it can easily strip the threads on the oil pan and then the oil pan needs to be replaced. So if you do get the oil changed make sure the people that are changing the oil knows what they are doing and don't do more harm than good. That Quicky Oil change could end up costing you a couple of hundred dollars if the oil pan has to be changed out because the threads are stripped.
I have installed a Quick Release Valve where my oil drain plug goes. That way it never needs to be removed and there is no chance of it stripping. It's a no leak no fuzz drain valve which has worked very well for me.
Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L > Search > Fumoto > ES#2208993 14mm Oil Drain Valve With Adapter - F106N

Good Luck with whatever you decide. If you do get the older 2004 VW Beetle you will need to start thinking about the timing belt and water pump maintenance fairly soon. Probably within a year or less. That maintenance will cost you about $1500-$1700 dollars from a dealer or around $800 if a private shop does it. Since you are not in the US it may even be a bit more. So that is an expense you will save right away by just going with the 2007 VW Beetle. Better engine, Better transmission, Less Maintenance. I rest my case. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I would most definitely go with the 2007 for two reasons. Even thou they have both the 6 speed tiptronic transmissions the 2007 has an updated version which is improved from the pre 2006 units. Second and most important the 2007 has a much better engine which requires a lot less maintenance than the 2004 engine does. I assume the 2007 has the 2.5 5 cylinder motor which has a timing chain opposed to the High Maintenance timing belt on the 2004 Beetle. The 2004 may be cheaper to purchase but it will cost you more in the long run. So for me this would be a no brainer decission. 2007 FTW. :bigthumb:

I wouldn't worry about the small oil leak on the 2007. More than likely it was caused by an overeager Oil Change grease monkey that overtightened the Oil drain plug in the soft aluminum oil pan. Also most of those Quicky Oil change places do not replace the "One time Use" Oil drain Plug and gasket.
You can get away using the Oil drain plug more than once but you should always, ALWAYS use a new gasket. If they overtighten the plug over and over then it can easily strip the threads on the oil pan and then the oil pan needs to be replaced. So if you do get the oil changed make sure the people that are changing the oil knows what they are doing and don't do more harm than good. That Quicky Oil change could end up costing you a couple of hundred dollars if the oil pan has to be changed out because the threads are stripped.
I have installed a Quick Release Valve where my oil drain plug goes. That way it never needs to be removed and there is no chance of it stripping. It's a no leak no fuzz drain valve which has worked very well for me.
Volkswagen New Beetle 2.5L > Search > Fumoto > ES#2208993 14mm Oil Drain Valve With Adapter - F106N

Good Luck with whatever you decide. If you do get the older 2004 VW Beetle you will need to start thinking about the timing belt and water pump maintenance fairly soon. Probably within a year or less. That maintenance will cost you about $1500-$1700 dollars from a dealer or around $800 if a private shop does it. Since you are not in the US it may even be a bit more. So that is an expense you will save right away by just going with the 2007 VW Beetle. Better engine, Better transmission, Less Maintenance. I rest my case. ;)
Oh yea...I forgot about the timing chain on the 2007. Main reason I wish I could've afforded an '07 instead of an older one. I do love my Iggy; but she doesn't have a timing chain :p. I asked my German mechanic friend if there was any adapter or whatever to put a chain on Iggy when I do the tb/wp and he said "yes...you can buy a 2007 beetle instead of changing your tb/wp." LOL

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Oh yea...I forgot about the timing chain on the 2007. Main reason I wish I could've afforded an '07 instead of an older one. I do love my Iggy; but she doesn't have a timing chain :p. I asked my German mechanic friend if there was any adapter or whatever to put a chain on Iggy when I do the tb/wp and he said "yes...you can buy a 2007 beetle instead of changing your tb/wp." LOL
Actually you can buy a 2006 Beetle instead of a 2007 Beetle :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks in advance,

Jane
Buy the 2007 you will not regret it considering it requires less work. Don't worry about the small oil leak.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Actually you can buy a 2006 Beetle instead of a 2007 Beetle :D
I know...he just happened to be pointing at a 2007 he has at his shop that is for sale when he said that...lol. It is also green, I believe Gecko? It is not as bright as Iggy. I like it but it is a convertible which is something I was trying to avoid (a whole other set of problems to deal with besides the usual stuff). On top of that, it is a lot newer than Iggy with about half the mileage so the price was almost twice my budget.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I know...he just happened to be pointing at a 2007 he has at his shop that is for sale when he said that...lol. It is also green, I believe Gecko? It is not as bright as Iggy. I like it but it is a convertible which is something I was trying to avoid (a whole other set of problems to deal with besides the usual stuff). On top of that, it is a lot newer than Iggy with about half the mileage so the price was almost twice my budget.
Bummer, I think IggysMom would look great behind the wheel of a sexy convertible ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts