NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am about to buy a 1998 NewBeetle with the 2.0 engine. It has nearly 90,000 miles and $3,000 is the deal I got. I dealt online and was told that the car is in excellent condition. I will go today to have a look at the car and see if it is worth the money. I am no expert, all I know is I trust VW, especially those in the Golf, Jetta level. I know the basics, overall outside look, fluids, belts... And here comes my question:
Are there specifics I should be looking for when inspecting the car? Any recent o coming service I should be aware of? I mean expensive replacements that should've already be done or need to be done in a car this age and miles.

Thanks a lot

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Timing belt and water pump. If those haven't been done, you're looking at about $800 to have those done. 90K means if it hasn't been done, it should be done soon.

I'm sure others will weigh in with advice, too.

Price seems good! In fact, it seems a little low. Make sure you give it a good once-over when you go and see it in person.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Callisto9 and Raff. Really helpful.
I have heard a lot of stuff about the '98, being the first year of production, causing the this year models to have a lot of problems. I don't take that too seriously, but I would not mind having some feedback on that particular.

Thanks again

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,146 Posts
Hello. I bought a 99 off the internet about 3 months ago and all I can say is I love it! It is everything I hoped for and more. His name is Ernie and he had 96k on him. I was told that the timing belt and water pump was changed around 80k, but there is no way to prove it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. It would be sweet though if you knew if it had been serviced well. That said...for 3k plus the fact that car has very low miles.

I'd go for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts