NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help me or transfer this question.

My '99 bug went in for her 60k appt. That was at Thanksgiving. Since then the ABS light has come on 3x. Stays on for awhile.

The last two times the Brake light has come on and beeped at me every time I tapped or lightly touched the brakes. Then goes off.

Now, we live in Seattle and it has been extremely wet! It is coinciding with downpours and commuting.

Question: is it happening when my brakes get extremely wet?

Note: I do not notice a change in how I need to brake.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
First thing you should have done was take it back to the dealer that did the 60k.

It may only be a sensor failure. I've got a '99 and at about 65k I had a similar issue. Dealer read the code and said it was a speed sensor code from the left rear wheel. Dealer figured that the sensor was defective and replaced it. No problem since.

-jeffrey

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar problem and it ended up being a random electrical problem. I guess if the battery or alternator are not producing enough juice, the ABS automatically shuts off & the light comes on??? I had a melted fuse box...replaced that, fixed the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked my fuse box. This may sound dumb - but the ABS fuse looked fine. What does a blown fuse look like????

Then I checked the cover to the battery. Clipped on good, no melting, wires looked clean, and the 3 green tabs on the right seemed fine. But am I suppose to pull out the green tabs and check them? They were in pretty tight so I didnt. Is there more I can check in this area??

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Less than $100 I believe. I don't think the sensor is that expensive and it was less than an hour to r&r it.

-jeffrey

·
Registered
4 Posts
My beetle did the exact same thing, NotMyBeetle. Scan said it was a low voltage fault to the ABS and Airbag systems.

We're still in the process of figuring out what the deal is, but if its both I'd guess electrical.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ABS Light and traction light

I have a 2002 turbo beetle and also have a problem with the ABS light and the traction light coming on at the same time.

Every once in a wail after applying pressure to the brake petal they both come and then I hear a beep...beep...beep... Then it all goes away for a wail.

I have also had the voltage regulator on the alternator go out twice in the last five months.

Would you think this is an electrical problem or just bad luck?

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
ABS,ESP,ASR they are all connected to each other, IF ABS is out of order than all the others are out too (EDL,ASR,ESP etc.)

99%, the sensors became dirty and that was why your ABS was occured a problem. Take your car to a service and tell them to clean the sensors.

Have a nice day :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
No problem hdtv( is it High definition TV) lol :)

Take care and have a nice drive with your NB :)

Greetings from Turkey..

P.S: Don't forget to tell them to clean your error codes too :)

·
Unlimited Reality Designs
463 Posts
ok im having a simular problem. i was installing leds and when i started my car i get the brake light on and it stays on and flashes and beeps. my abs light is on as well and stays on. it only started after i put in the leds. i know i didnt cross no wires or blow anything. the dealer wants to charge me 200 dollars just to hook it up to find a code. is there anything i can do about this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts