NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. This is my first post. I own a 2000 1.8 liter turbo New Beetle. It has about 85,000 miles on it.

For a while my ABS and Traction lights were flashing intermittently. I didn't think much of it. But the flashing got worse and it was cutting in to my stereo and rolling the window up prompted the cars dash to light up. So i decided to take it to the dealership.

My dad suspected the alternator so they checked that, and determined that it was dead. So the alternator was not charging my battery. So most likely the low voltage was causing the lights to go off. It was trying to tell me something was wrong.

I bought a new OEM alternator and my dad was able to intall it. I also have a new tensioner on the belt.

I tried driving it today and the ABS and Traction lights flashed a couple more times :mad:

Is it actually a problem with this system? how do i know for sure that the ABS and/or Traction lights need attention?

Could it be the fact that my tires are bald and the sensors may be thrown off?

Or do we need to look further into the Alternator situation?

Do i need to replace my battery because it was drained?

any suggestions welcome.

Thanks a LOT

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Have a auto parts place run your car for codes. The ABS system flashing is usually a sign of a bad wheel sensor. My flashing got so bad that the car would actually randomly engage the traction control system as if I was careening out of control on a wet road at 80 mph when I actually was just doing 25mph down a straight dry street. It's startling to have the engine and brakes rumble and take control away from you.

I have not fixed my issue yet. I instead just turn off the system with the ESP button when I start the car.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
abs light

Well Welcome to new beetle.org newbie..LOL :D It could be as simple as your abs wheel sensors needing cleaning. When was the last time the brakes were done? the sensors could be full of brake dust, road grime or dirt/mud. Here is a pix of what to look for and clean it if you can get to it. The picture shows the front but the rear has a similar hub. Clean those two parts that the arrows are pointing to.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Welcome to new beetle.org newbie..LOL :D It could be as simple as your abs wheel sensors needing cleaning. When was the last time the brakes were done? the sensors could be full of brake dust, road grime or dirt/mud. Here is a pix of what to look for and clean it if you can get to it. The picture shows the front but the rear has a similar hub. Clean those two parts that the arrows are pointing to.
Would i be able to take the car to an auto shop to get the censors checked and cleaned? Would they do that for me? Not to be sexist, but i am a woman that knows little to nothing about this car. Haha. I do not think the brakes have ever been worked on, not since i have had the car. Which is about a year.

But when i first browsed online about the lights, Checking the censors was the first thing i wanted to do..

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
sensors

yes, I think any brake shop should be able to clean those if you specify what you want done.I was trying to save you money and give you a starting point of something that you could do at home by just removing the wheels and cleaning those two parts off road grime with brake dust cleaner. Or the sensors themselves could be bad. good luck.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,093 Posts
Have a auto parts place run your car for codes.
AFAIK, regular scanners won't pick up ABS codes. VAG-COM is needed for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, I think any brake shop should be able to clean those if you specify what you want done.I was trying to save you money and give you a starting point of something that you could do at home by just removing the wheels and cleaning those two parts off road grime with brake dust cleaner. Or the sensors themselves could be bad. good luck.
Thank you so much for your help! i am going to get the sensors cleaned ASAP and i hope that it will stop the lights from flashing on. If it doesnt stop them, then i will look in to alternatives like fuses, and replacing them.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not sure how your situation is going now. I have a simple suggestion for you to try.

Step#1: Cleaning the flat bottom of the cable terminal from alternator to fuse block on top of battery with metal sandpaper. Remove all oxidized surface. (The black cable in the picture)

Step#2: Tighten the terminal to fuse really tight. Also tighten the rest just to be sure and see how it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a similar problem (well, sort of). After replacing both the battery and the fusebox on my Mom's 2004 Turbo Convertible, the airbag light is on all the time, while the traction control light comes and goes. Any suggestions on what to check?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
battery problem

I have a similar problem (well, sort of). After replacing both the battery and the fusebox on my Mom's 2004 Turbo Convertible, the airbag light is on all the time, while the traction control light comes and goes. Any suggestions on what to check?
If you suspect battery or alternator problems check the Negative cable going from the battery where it connects to the chassis ground underneath the battery tray. The electrical system needs the ground(chassis negative) or it won't work right. I found a lot of corrosion on that connection, i'm not saying you have the same problem but could be. Just remove the airbox, loosen the powersteering reservoir, remove the battery, remove the battery tray and you're there. good luck. to see pictures check out the posting i titled CAUTION back in December.

·
Title User Custom
82 Posts
Of note I also had the exact same issue with the wife's car 3 months ago. Intermittent ABS faults, TCS light, and a few other faults that showed up in VCDS. Acted suspiciously like an alternator problem.

Issue turned out to be corrosion on the fuses under the hood. As per what taanote posted up. Cleaned them all up, haven't had another issue since. Also worth checking the grounds as well, as they can cause similar issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a auto parts place run your car for codes. The ABS system flashing is usually a sign of a bad wheel sensor. My flashing got so bad that the car would actually randomly engage the traction control system as if I was careening out of control on a wet road at 80 mph when I actually was just doing 25mph down a straight dry street. It's startling to have the engine and brakes rumble and take control away from you.

I have not fixed my issue yet. I instead just turn off the system with the ESP button when I start the car.
did you ever fix this problem or figure it out
my gf beetle is doing this now her trac control flashes at 25 and she says her tires feel like they are spinning

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
The traction control blinking; can be normal, indicating it is activating. Scan for trouble codes with a VW specific scan tool like VCDS by Ross Tech or a cheaper option, is OBDEleven. Post any trouble codes and we can go from there. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts