NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the other day my wife calls me and says her speedometer isn't working and that the gas gauge is going up and down from full to empty. So after getting home I take a look at the car. Now I build and fix computers NOT cars but I can navigate my way around the fuse box and stuff. Anyway, i noticed the 7.5amp32v fuse is blown and the card says its the ABS fuse. There was never any ABS light on in the car. I replaced the fuse, test drove the car and VIOLA speedometer was working and the gas gauge was fine. She just called me saying it was happening again. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
First thought, VSS (vehcle speed sensor) which inputs to many functions through the ECMs, but no clue what would be blowing the fuse. To my knowledge the only thing that blows a fuse is an overload or a short. Solving an issue that a blown fuse is part of isn't resolved by replacing the fuse.

MORAV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my reasoning for only changing the fuse was because the fuse appeared to be the original in the car. ITs a 1998 so I figured the fuse could be just old. I am curious though as to why the fuse change of the "ABS" is affecting the speedometer. I can't find any documentation that would clarify the issue.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The VSS is a component of both the speedometer function and the ABS function. It actually provides information, through the ECMs for many things, which is why I suggested this might be the source of the problem. Perhaps not the VSS itself being bad, but a short in that specific circuit. Possibly at the VSS connection. I might also suggest that age will virtually not affect a fuse, anymore so than a wire.

M.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The VSS is a component of both the speedometer function and the ABS function. It actually provides information, through the ECMs for many things, which is why I suggested this might be the source of the problem. Perhaps not the VSS itself being bad, but a short in that specific circuit. Possibly at the VSS connection. I might also suggest that age will virtually not affect a fuse, anymore so than a wire.

M.
You should be more specific which one of VSS. Some rodent bit a cable of mine G68 VSS so car didn't shift gears and vehicle speed reading was 0 from OBD-II, but the speedometer itself was working just fine!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You should be more specific which one of VSS. Some rodent bit a cable of mine G68 VSS so car didn't shift gears and vehicle speed reading was 0 from OBD-II, but the speedometer itself was working just fine!
I'm sorry, I should have looked it up. Which I have now done. [G22] Speedometer Vehicle Speed Sensor. I have not looked to see if this is the one used by the ABS system, but truthfully I was not aware, other that the wheel speed sensors [G44] [G45][G46][G47], that there was more than one, and obviuosly the speedometer vehicle speed sensor is not one of those.

Sorry, I can't get the pics for the hatchback to come up, But the location should be the same.

M.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great pictures. I will check it when I get back to town. I will be traveling and I will take a look on Sunday and let you know what I find. Again THanks :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
great pictures. I will check it when I get back to town. I will be traveling and I will take a look on Sunday and let you know what I find. Again THanks :)
It's probably not that big of a deal, the fuse has no doubt blown again, so no further damage can be done, she just needs to be aware the ABS system will not function properly. If you need more help, I'm usually around here early and late, real late a lot of the time, and I have both the paper Bentley Service Manual and the DVD-ROM Repair Manual. Btw, I didn't take those pics, I pirated them from my Bentley DVD.

M.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have discovered that it is not the ABS fuse, but the instrument cluster fuse. Maybe I have a wire bad on the back of the speedometer

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I have discovered that it is not the ABS fuse, but the instrument cluster fuse. Maybe I have a wire bad on the back of the speedometer
Ouch! What is the fuse position, so I can do a little research?

Forget the fuse card, here is a much better identifier, each has info the other doesn't (go figure), and printable -

Bentley Fuse & Relay Panels
Service Manual
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/2-0-liter-gas/87567d1316930787-helping-friend-need-some-help-advice-fuses-panels-relays-panels-locations-bentley-service-manual.pdf
Repair Manual
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/2-0-liter-gas/87566d1316930702-helping-friend-need-some-help-advice-fuses-panels-relays-panels-locations-bentley-repair-manual.pdf

M.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks

I have a similar issue and will check this when I get home tonight...I checked the fuse on the top of the battery ..the one that is supposed to be for the fan...just to see if melty fuse box issue was why the ac and heat or fan are not working...it was fine put it back got half way down the road and realised my speedo was not working...my beetle is starting to get a new issue weekly ...I didnt do too badly but he is a 1999 so he is showing his age now..L

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Ouch! What is the fuse position, so I can do a little research?

Forget the fuse card, here is a much better identifier, each has info the other doesn't (go figure), and printable -

Bentley Fuse & Relay Panels
Service Manual
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/2-0-liter-gas/87567d1316930787-helping-friend-need-some-help-advice-fuses-panels-relays-panels-locations-bentley-service-manual.pdf
Repair Manual
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/2-0-liter-gas/87566d1316930702-helping-friend-need-some-help-advice-fuses-panels-relays-panels-locations-bentley-repair-manual.pdf

M.
Thanks for the links. I need to save them somewhere for future reference. Very detailed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
hello, I would like to ask for some help in locating the G22 vehicle speed sensor on a 2005 New Beetle that has a 09G transmission. In ElsaWin there is a diagram of the location of this sensor but when I checked on the vehicle it is actually a coolant temp sensor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts