VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
DaoChuan said:
Anyone have any ideas on why the ABS light would be coming on? It only comes on maybe once a week. When the car is turned off and back on the light is off. The car is a 2000 NB GLS.

Thanks
Same problem and same year. Pull the two right green fuses on top of the battery and be sure they aren't melted. I keep meaning to pull the code(s). I'll post again when I get around to it... got to study for a test this weekend. :(

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Porkchop said:
Same problem and same year. Pull the two right green fuses on top of the battery and be sure they aren't melted. I keep meaning to pull the code(s). I'll post again when I get around to it... got to study for a test this weekend. :(
Mine is throwing a code for the left wheel speed sensor. Going to try cleaning it. Since its basically just a magnet, it may have a bunch of crap built up on it that is causing it not to read sometimes.

Thank goodness yours was covered under warranty... how "shot-in-the-dark" is it for the dealership to replace the pump when it was actually the ABS computer.. heck, I can just randomly replace parts until I get it right. :)

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Tom Servo said:
So the Abs have to do something with the brakes? the only time my light comes on is when i take a corner to fast and it blinks. but that is rare. So if it starts staying on then is that when the brakes need to be check or what is the story on that? I thought they were to help you from tipping and turning corners to fast or something like that. I don't know, I'm still learning I find new things to find that I could use.

Tom Servo
ABS = Anti-lock Brake System. There is a magnet sensor on each wheel. If a wheel starts to lock up when braking hard, a solenoid releases pressure on that wheel and lets it roll so you don't slide. Since each wheel works independently and since braking is reapplied as soon as the wheel is not locked anymore, it allows you to brake hard in slick conditions without losing control.

Incidentally, I still haven't gotten around to cleaning the sensor that mine is giving a code for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.