NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've got a 2006 Beetle which I've an issue with. When starting turning the key to each stage prior to it cranking up I notice that the speedo needle flickers quickly for a few seconds then it stops, as I crank it up the ABS light stays on and I also hear a quick grind noise all whilst staying stationary. If i was to turn the key quickly to crank it up I still get the grind noise but the ABS light doesn't come on.
I've put it on a scan tool from home but no codes showing so next stage is the mechanic's but wanted to ask the question before I pay out.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,627 Posts
Do you think that the noise. Is coming from the starter? There is a classic squealing problem that is exhibited when you use the starter; the internal Bendix assembly gets contaminated with dust from the clutch disk and this binds up the starter assembly. Removal, cleaning and lubrication; is a temporary fix or many just replace the starter with a new or rebuilt unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Billymade,
That's the exact noise I'm getting. I look into giving it a clean before replacing.
I wonder if its the starter motor then that's causing the abs light to come on as it only comes on depending on how fast you turn the key to crank it up.
Thanks

·
Registered
390 Posts
Start with a cleaning if you feel up to it. If that doesn't help rebuild or replace your starter, get a new or reman Bosch do yourself a favor and don't go to autozone, napa, etc and get one of their lifetime starters or you'll be replacing it often for the rest of your life. After the starter is fixed the ABS may take care of itself but likely you have another issue in addition to the starter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts