NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi Red

I'm sorry I haven't been on for ages to update you but it took my dad forever to actually have another look at my car:( and still no result this is becoming a losing battle

My dad took the air filter housing out and had a look at the
connector, and all appears to be intact. We took the connector off and put it back again.

I have also tested the battery again using another hydrometer but the results were still the same. Also took it to a garage to put it on their load tester which I did and it appears to be good. They are saying that it's the ABS unit.

Anyway i have put it all back together and taken it for another run but nothing has changed. I have also run another diagnostics test which i have attached and i have to say that the faults are getting less and less but there is nothing relating to the ABS. The next step I guess is to buy another battery!

Not sure where to go from here.:confused: I would like to stop the beeping I have no idea why the Abs light is showing if on the diagnostics there is no fault showing. I hope you can help!

Below is the new results from the diagnostics

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 06A-906-018-AQY.lbl
Part No: 06A 906 018 EJ
Component: 2.0l R4/2V MOTR HS V04
Coding: 00031
Shop #: WSC 00066
VCID: 6EDDCB6F2A124668C30

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0110 1101

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1J0-907-37x-ESP-F.lbl
Part No: 1C0 907 379
Component: ESP 20 CAN V002
Coding: 00000
Shop #: WSC 00222
VCID: E7D33E4B85E81720006

No fault code found.

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 6Q0-909-605-VW5.lbl
Part No: 6Q0 909 605 A
Component: 0S AIRBAG VW5 0004
Coding: 12371
VCID: 356F24030FC435B0C2A

No fault code found.

Address 17: Instruments Labels: None
Part No: 1C0 920 900 C
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. M73 V07
Coding: 01442
Shop #: WSC 00000
VCID: 1B3BD2BB892083C0D4E

Subsystem 1 - Part No: Ident
Component: Nr. Wegfahrs.:VWZ5Z0Y2111165
Ident.-Nr. Wegfahrs.:VWZ5Z0Y2111165

No fault code found.

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.lbl
Part No: 6N0 909 901
Component: Gateway K<->CAN V072
Coding: 00006
VCID: F0E15517B026D09851C

No fault code found.

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 1J0-959-799.lbl
Part No: 1J0 959 799 AH
Component: 6P Zentral-SG Komf. 0001
Coding: 00256
VCID: 840909C7949EDC38854

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1J1959801C
Component: 6P Tõrsteuerger. FS0002r

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1J1959802D
Component: 6P Tõrsteuerger. BF0002r

1 Fault Found:
00913 - Window Regulator Switch; Front Right Driver (E81)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Address 56: Radio Labels: 1J0-035-18x-56.lbl
Part No: 1C0 035 186
Component: Radio BNO 0004
Coding: 00401
VCID: DBBB12BB49A043C094E

No fault code found.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi Red didn't achieve much, attached is what came up on the software. We are assuming that this is OK. Perhaps we need to select further options??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Click on "Fault Codes" and then there should be a "Clear Codes" button. It will also show the airbag fault codes, if there are any stored.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Stinkin' Thinkin'

I am sitting here at my computer at 1:30AM reading about how someone was looking at their ABS connection from above after removing the air cleaner and a thought came to mind.

I removed my air cleaner. Did I hook everything back up properly?

My ABS light is on but I know the reason for that.

Hey, don't forget about Roswell!

Remember, it's 1:30AM. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Click on "Fault Codes" and then there should be a "Clear Codes" button. It will also show the airbag fault codes, if there are any stored.
Hi Red

There were no Faults to clear, but we clicked the 'clear codes' button anyway. I have run the dianostics again but there are no faults except for the window switch.
Not sure what to do next?:confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi Red

Do you think we should check the (Ground) Wiring from the Central Electronics Control Module to the Battery. This was one of the first faults showing on the diagnostics for th ABS faults!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
No, I don't think that would be worthwhile. I think most of your early fault could have been caused by low battery voltage at some point. With the codes cleared not you can see which ones come back and how long they take to appear.

Without any airbag faults you should be able to turn of the airbag light. I was really hoping that someone who has turned off their airbag light using VCDS would say how to do it. I've never had to do it with mine, but it should be pretty obvious. Just a matter of finding which menu path to take.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I found the below on Ross Tech website is that the airbag reset process??

Coding

VCDS will automatically tell you a suggested coding (HEX interface required), otherwise contact us for assistance.

For early (1998-1999) New Beetles, there may be no index number. In such cases use:

16721 is the Coding for 1J0 909 608 AQ
00070 is the Coding for 1J0 909 608 F

Adaptation

Used to deactivate individual airbag components (see repair manual for details).

Basic Setting

Seat Occupied Recognition Control Module (J706)

If the Seat Occupied Recognition Control Module (J706) or the seat itself have been replaced, the basic setting has to be performed.

[Select]
[15 - Airbags]
[Security Access - 16]
Enter 11063, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
The reset has been performed.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

Special Procedures

Seat Occupied Recognition Control Module (J706): Reset

If a repair on the Seat Occupied Recognition has been performed, a reset has to be performed too.

Prerequisites:
Seat in normal position.
Seat must NOT be occupied during the whole procedure.
Seatbelt must NOT be plugged in.
No faults in the system.
Interior temperature must be between 0 °C and 37 °C (32 °F and 98 °F).
Seat Occupied Recognition Control Module (J706) Software Level 0006 or higher.

[Select]
[15 - Airbags]
[Security Access - 16]
Enter 13731, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Adaptation - 10]
Channel 000
[Read]
[Save]
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

·
Registered
762 Posts
Looking at the Auto-Scan that was posted on Feb 27th, the only fault code is in the CCM:

00913 - Window Regulator Switch; Front Right Driver (E81)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

All of the power train modules are clean and clear. I'm not sure just what the issue is here with the ABS.

Are the ABS lights flashing/beeping and such as you drive down the road? Or are you saying that each time you scan the ABS or Airbag module that warning lights come on?

Just to make sure we are all on the same page (to be honest, I don't even know what book we are reading... ), when you scan an ECM, ABS or Airbag module, warning lights will come on in the cluster.... that is what those modules do, fault codes or not.

So based on the Feb 27th scan... I don't see what the issue is. As a matter of fact, I see no issues other than something is up with a power window switch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Are the ABS lights flashing/beeping and such as you drive down the road? Or are you saying that each time you scan the ABS or Airbag module that warning lights come on?
Sorry for the late reply pencilneck but to answer your question the ABS light comes on and beeps when I drive it - I also don't understand why the only fault it comes up with on the scan is the window switch this doesn't have anything to do with the ABS. completly confused:confused:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just had similar ABS and other codes pop up on my 2000 NB.

It's more than worthwhile checking the condition of your rear brakes, and the ABS rings and sensors at the rear wheels.

In my case, due to corrosion both my ABS sensors were knocked clean off. It doesn't take much to rip the rear ones apart.

My other intermittent codes (including secondary air injection - which I thought was weird) disappeared when I got the brakes fixed up like new.

Even if that doesn't solve all your issues, look at one major area at a time, repair it if faulty, then reset codes and see what happens from there.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi all

My saga goes on with my beetle - we have tried removing the sensors but at the moment they are well seized. We have managed to get the bolt out of one but the sensor is seized so unable to prise it out just yet. The other one we can’t even get the bolt to turn. So for the time being we have given it a good dose of WD 40 and will attempt it again on Monday.
Failing we will have to remove the brake calliper and disc and hopefully will be able to see the sensor from thaissued - does anyone know if this is common and if this is indeed the best way to approach this?:confused:

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
x2

x2 on using BP Blaster but go easy and don't overspray because it's really strong stuff and could damage other components in the area. It's good stuff but it's mostly used to loosen up suspension hardware, big stuff..... Good luck and let me know if you still need to reset the airbag light using the vag-com? I did it last year I just need to log back into mine and fallow the Menus to remember and post them here.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts