VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced the offending wheel sensors and I am still having ABS/ASR problems , The lights go on ,then stay off for a while , When the lights are off the ASR will still function , however when I try the ABS the lights immediately come on . Also the brake light came on the other day and beeped three times. All lights are off as of today but I threw a code P 1649, data bus powertrain missing message from abs controller .What does this mean in English. I'm pretty sure It means I need A new abs unit . Thanks for any insight you can give me on this .

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18057/P1649/005705

Testing would require the Ross Tech VCDS or possibly a VAG 401 scan tool, could do a similar type of abs testing procedures/work. There are known abs controller board failures (electronics board the plug connects to; some shops offer rebuilding repair service for these)) and some New Beetles had recalls on certain abs units. I would check to see if your car has a abs recall, get a vw scan tool for testing, confirm problems with testing and if the board/controller is bad, consider getting it rebuilt.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
ABS system

IMO, The ABS system is just an added feature but not really required unless you plan on going at a high rate of speed in the rain. My abs light has been on for the past year and half and don't plan on fixing that unless it comes time to sell the car, which won't be anytime soon. I'm a slow driver though and just pot-pot along like an old folks driving. LOL:D

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The ABS/ASR system; literally, has save my life in a accident that happened in front of me driving through the Los Angeles freeway (a car spun out of control and stopped right in front of me; I would have t boned him). Because of this safety system; I was able to maintain control and swerve out of his way. This experience; would have been totally different scenario, without this built in safety system.

I would say fix the system and get professional help, if needed; can you put a price tag on your life? VW installed the system for a reason; especially for the Turbo models. I swear by the ASR system now; I may not be alive right now, without it! :)

A VW specific scan tool; is definitely, required to do the troubleshooting and repairs. If it is in fact the ABS module; rebuilding the module or just electronics portion of the system, might be a cost effective option, thus eliminating the need for extra programming/coding required for a new replacement unit.

The ASR systems ability; to help you maintain control in slippery conditions (wet, snow, etc) or panic stop situations, is incredible. Check out some videos; to illustrate its effectiveness.

https://volkswagenutah.wordpress.com/2014/01/10/how-does-vw-asresp-work/

Electronic Stability Control (ESC) < Technical Glossary < Innovation & Technology

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has any one heard of the web site " Your Mechanic ", they come to your house and fix your car for a reasonably Price supposedly they have Great reviews , and have been discussed on T. V.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I wound't have just any shop fix the abs system; I would have a shop that specializes in Volkswagens, do the work. The average shop; probably would not have the computer/scan tool, to do the coding needed or possibly, not be able to bleed the system.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup thats what im thinking,the go to foregin car repair shop in my neighborhood wasn't able to get past the wheel sensor replacement which was misdiagnosed .

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I went to my trusted shop I didn't think they did worked on VW, they got me a new module from VW and installed it programed the new part . and Bleed the brakes for $ 1400. I'm in Chicago and just wondering if the pricing is in the ball park . All is well no more warning lights and no more money :cry:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, no reason to beat yourself up; it's fixed! :) I'm glad you got it handled; brakes/ABS systems, are not things to ignore! Your personal safety and life; are more important, than ignoring a problem that could be life threatening (think: hospital bills and not being able to work or worse?). To break down the cost; you need to look at the labor rate/hours charged and price of the abs unit/parts/supplies used. I would assume; the ABS unit, was the most expensive part of the repair, since they were new parts, direct from a vw dealer (the most expensive source of parts). No point; in crying over spilled milk, it is repaired and you can safely drive your car without worrying about your brakes not working as they should. :) At the end of the day; a safe car is important, you life can depend on it! Can you put a price tag; on your health and safety, when you drive your car every day?

Another ABS/ESP video by Bosch (the system used in our VW's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdHoVN6_jg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts