VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow newbeetle members. seems like the electrical gramlins are out again. My ABS light is on and it sounds like the ABS pump is always running. This happened after it lost power to the abs control module via the two fuses on top of the battery,s179 and 178. I replaced the fuse box and the cheapo box i got on ebay had loose connections in those two fuse socket. So now I got the ABS pump running all the time. has anybody had this issue before? Do I just need to reset the abs control module via the vag-com? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Might try the disconnect the battery and turn the headlights on for 1 minute trick.

Yes, the headlights will not work with the battery disconnect, the headlights put a load on the system and are use to drain and reset modules within the car.

Cheap and easy trick, not sure it will sort the issue, but easy enough to try.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Would that be the same as resetting all systems by doing the battery cables touch trick?
Should be the same, but the battery cable touch trick is the best solution for 30-60 seconds.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no good

That didn't work. Is there an ABS pump relay or does anybody have a wiring diagram for the ABS system? preciate any input folks.
It sounds like a relay is stuck or something my Chilton's manual has nothing about the ABS system in the new beetle. How can the ABS system go bad by just replacing the battery & fuse box on battery or was it coincidence??? hhmm??

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Assume ABS pump/system is designed to run and build up pressure then cut off once a specific pressure has been reached?

Seems like a sensor or some other problem with the system?

Unfortunately you would need a scan tool that supported ABS to see if there are any ABS trouble codes. VAG405 is the cheapest tool that I am aware of that will support ABS for these cars.

Will try to post a diagram up later, have to do some things to get everything working on my end again.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
abs

Assume ABS pump/system is designed to run and build up pressure then cut off once a specific pressure has been reached?

Seems like a sensor or some other problem with the system?

Unfortunately you would need a scan tool that supported ABS to see if there are any ABS trouble codes. VAG405 is the cheapest tool that I am aware of that will support ABS for these cars.

Will try to post a diagram up later, have to do some things to get everything working on my end again.
I did that with my vag-com and it came up with one of the common codes around the internet; 01276-abs hydraulic pump(64)
012-electrical fault in circuit.

any Ideas to try folks???
update;;;;
Some folks here at work suggest maybe drive it around for a while going over 15mpg so that the accumulator builds up pressure and the abs system re-learns it's parameters. I might try that some time this coming weekend.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I did that with my vag-com and it came up with one of the common codes around the internet; 01276-abs hydraulic pump(64)
012-electrical fault in circuit.

any Ideas to try folks???
update;;;;
Some folks here at work suggest maybe drive it around for a while going over 15mpg so that the accumulator builds up pressure and the abs system re-learns it's parameters. I might try that some time this coming weekend.
But the error seems to kind of agree with your Electrical Fault In Circuit/pump always running.

Glancing over the ABS schematic, it appears the pump is directly wired to the ABS module with a lot of sensors feeding into the ABS module. No relays that I can see.

Have you tried the ESC or stability control switch to see what if anything this does when turned on/pushed?

I would say you may have to pull a fuse for the short term if you need to drive the car?

Looks like fuse #6 & #7 on the battery both send power to the ABS controller, maybe something there or disconnect these? Not sure why there are 2 fuses, but there are 2 30 Amp fuses.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
schematic

But the error seems to kind of agree with your Electrical Fault In Circuit/pump always running.

Glancing over the ABS schematic, it appears the pump is directly wired to the ABS module with a lot of sensors feeding into the ABS module. No relays that I can see.

Have you tried the ESC or stability control switch to see what if anything this does when turned on/pushed?

I would say you may have to pull a fuse for the short term if you need to drive the car?

Looks like fuse #6 & #7 on the battery both send power to the ABS controller, maybe something there or disconnect these? Not sure why there are 2 fuses, but there are 2 30 Amp fuses.
Hey thanks for looking up that schematic now I know there is no relay stuck. I have not tried the ESC BUTTON, but will if my car has one. I think mine has a button called ESR, Not esc. Correct, I need to pull one of the 30Amp fuses just to drive it. I need to try a few things and get back to ya....thanks

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Hey thanks for looking up that schematic now I know there is no relay stuck. I have not tried the ESC BUTTON, but will if my car has one. I think mine has a button called ESR, Not esc. Correct, I need to pull one of the 30Amp fuses just to drive it. I need to try a few things and get back to ya....thanks
Good luck, hopefully you can cure the issue, but if not, maybe you can drive with the ABS disabled?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
abs

haven't had time to work on this issue since it's been really cold for south texas weather. The car is drivable without abs system but would like to repair it anyhow. Anybody know why the hydraulic pump runs all the time? or seen this problem before?

·
Registered
49 Posts
My (guess) is a shot module. I doubt the motor itself is faulty as it just does what it's told. VW ABS modules are notoriously faulty. Both my bugs have ABS light on. Never scanned them to see what codes, but I was told by previous owner of the blue one that it needed a module.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If it is on permanently, module is gone.

Some signs that will trigger this sensitive system: voltage drops, which can be related to alternator, battery, AC system (my issue in hot weather), cooling fans, etc. My light would go off if I restarted the car. If it doesn't, then its the module.

On my BMW, a dying battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts