NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks. My wife's 2003 2 Litre 3 door auto has an interesting intermittent fault. Without warning the ABS pump kicks in, usually when not braking. It doesn't stop the car but scares the Bejesus out of you while driving. I wondered if this could be corroded ABS rings, any suggestions ? Thanks

·
Registered
11,405 Posts
Anything is possible; have you checked for trouble codes with a vw specific scan tool? The codes, may narrow down rhe problem and help diagnose the abs issues.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Abs

The ABS system is an added luxury and not really needed the braking system will default to standard old school braking when the abs fails. Unless you plan on racing folks in the rain or snow than I you don't need it. :p

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Abs

The ABS system is an added luxury and not really needed the braking system will default to standard old school braking when the abs fails. Unless you plan on racing folks in the rain or snow than I you don't need it. :p

·
LVM86VT
2 Posts
ABS kicks in inadvertently

My 2002 Beetle did the same thing, until I figured out it is actually NOT the ABS.
I seem to have a borderline fuel pump. If I DON'T let my gas tank go down to less than 1/4 tank then I don't have the problem.
It is weird that this problem shows like a gremlin is pressing the brake hard (momentarily) while on the freeway.
Try it. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,405 Posts
Scan for trouble codes and diagnose rhe problem; get it fixed. Brakes are not somerhing to ignore or gamble with; the abs system is a crucial safety feature, it could save you or a loved ones life. I have had the abs and asr system; literally save me from what would have been a horrible t-bone wreck on LA freeways in SoCal, very possibly been life threatening accident! After that close call experience, i have been totally sold on th abs/asr system; i was able to maintain control and swearve quickly out of a scenario, where i would have had a serious collision and luckily no one was in the lane i switched into. These systems work, should always be working correctly, repaired when needed and can save your life!

·
Registered
14 Posts
ABS systems are an asset

...Brakes are not somerhing to ignore or gamble with; the abs system is a crucial safety feature, it could save you or a loved ones life. I have had the abs and asr system; literally save me from what would have been a horrible t-bone wreck on LA freeways in SoCal, very possibly been life threatening accident! After that close call experience, i have been totally sold on th abs/asr system; i was able to maintain control and swearve quickly out of a scenario, where i would have had a serious collision...
...These systems work, should always be working correctly, repaired when needed and can save your life!
Without a single doubt for the vast majority of daily automobile drivers these ABS systems are an asset that do save lives. So are other safety features ie. safety belts, and Airbags too (for the first decade anyway, then... well that topic is out of scope here) one should always keep their critical safety systems in good serviceable order. It is the responsible thing to do. Diagnostics might dictate one set aside a variable that is a safety system, but only during troubleshooting. And that troubleshooting process can sometimes become an interesting progression to find some gremlins. Like Mr Billy, I when I first bought my 04 it had an intermittent issue that sometimes had me thinking my brakes had been applied. But my issue turned out to be a faulty crank position sensor. When it decided to start glitching some very strange and counterintuitive symptoms would begin to happen. My point (like Billy's) is strange problems requires good data to get figured out. We do have pretty good diagnostic tools available to track faults down when they are not what they first make one think has to be the problem. My bugg's problem seemed to defy logic and required me logging my engine data for later review. When I had enough data sets we got to the bottom of my issue.

Good luck my friend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts