NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have 2000 beetle with abs and brake light on, ive discovered a bad plug connecting the abs unit to the wire harness, both seem pretty trashed. i am wondering what to do next. order a used abs unit off ebay.?, and is there a way to fix the plug on the harness as it has two prongs stuck in it and melted..? any help would be a good start other than calling the stealership.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(Bump)

Any help would be better than none, I'm thinkin about finding a junk car with same abs options and cutting and splicing the wire harness. I've already found the identical abs unit off eBay for 60$+20-shipping it's on the way. I'm curious as to y this happened and will it happen again when I'm back together. Would you Recommend something other than splicing an old harness into mine... I understand it would have to have same pin count on plug as mine. I guess I'm asking is that reliable after time!?!

Thanx justin

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
Give it some time...you posted last last night. I'm not familiar with the abs system, but it looks like the connectors are pretty crusty and corroded. If its corrosion, it comes from being wet. Not sure where the abs unit is though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the unit with the krusty plug on it. and the piece in my hand comes from the car and plugs into the unit. I'm thinking of splicing an identical one onto the old wire harness...Thanks

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
I mean more of where in the car the unit is, so I can better help you figure out why it got corroded in the first place. If it did it once, it could do it again, depending on why it happened.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
I have some NB's in a salvage yard near here and I believe that one still has an intact ABS unit. Would you like me to check it out? Have you tried to clean the connector and the wire harness yet? I use this spray cleaner to clean my wire harness and connectors

ABS Units are located on the driver side, right of the brake master cylinder, as you face it... Pic [CMC DIY 004] in this DIY thread ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Abs

I think somehow it did get wet . But everything was snapped and locked closed by the tabs . I just ordered an abs unit with identical p.# As mine . I'm waiting for it to arrive, but on another note if u did see a nb. In a salvage yard. I'll shoot u sum money if u cut the wire plug from the car to abs module for me. I have a 2000 nb. M/t. Not shure about the abs how do I tell if I have tcs. Or stability control.. It's a fully loaded gls. Sunroof, heat seats,pwr dr.lock,sunroof 6dsc.changer . If somehow you do cut the wire cut it back far enough down the loom so I have some room to splice the wires... U guys are awesome btw. Thnx for all and any help !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also cleaned the connection with wd40 and tried scraping majority of crust away . Reconnected and tried clearing the code again. But it still exists. Along with the abs and brake light. I'm positive I'm not getting power to the unit. And that's why it's throwing the code. It senses too low of voltage (00668) low voltage , supply terminal 30. And shuts off abs completely so no further damage is acquired by operating outside tolerances I.e. Bad or no connection with abs unit due to faulty plug. Or moisture inside the unit! This started as a bad wheel sensor . Which I replaced only to have all other wheel speed sensors pop up as bad. Along with other bs codes . I believe the abs unit just was on the fritz and finally went due to this plug corrosion. After erasing the codes the only one to say is (00668) im guessing cause it is not getting power therefore it can't scan other abs codes. Such as wheel sensor or what have you... I'm getting to the bottom of this slowly. Thanks for help.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
I also cleaned the connection with wd40 and tried scraping majority of crust away ... ... Thanks for help.
WD40 is a lubricant, try using the electronic cleaner anyway and see if it helps. Give me the part number of your ABS unit and if it matches the one in the salvage yard the connector should be the same. I can make the trip next Wednesday.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,933 Posts
There is cleaner specifically made for electrical connections. Use that. WD40 won't help you there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've used DeoxIT d5, and a lil bit of Stabilant 22... Still producing same results.... :(
Looks like I'm goin to be splicing soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts