NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Beetle 2.0L - My air blows hot and regular, but has stopped blowing out cold cold air even when I have the AC button pushed in. It has been out for almost 2 years now and I just recently had the place I get my oil changes do a free ac inspection. They said my freeon is at 1.2 oz and could just be a small leak but when you have the car running and ac blowing, outside of the car it sounds like the air compressor is cranking almost in intervals? I believe it might be my air compressor that needs fixed/replaced. I think if it was just a leak, all the freeon would be gone by now after 2 years. Can anyone give any advice on this? I don't have the money to completely replace the air compressor if that is the problem, but I am currently pregnant and due in July so AC is a big thing I would like to fix on my car! :confused::(

THANKYOU

·
Registered
14,057 Posts
Cycling on/off would seem to indicate it is low on freon. This may not be the issue but I had a problem, where the compressor would cycle off/on intermittently, the freon pressure was normal but it turned out to be a electrical issue.

This is easy to look at and at least worth checking. If this isn't the problem; I would take it to a a/c auto professional for diagnosis and repair.

No Compressor Operation in Volkswagen New Beetle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What pressure levels would indiciate that they are bad? I know they noted them on my paperwork, but I don't know what they really mean.
They have a a/c tuneup service for $89 and I was considering doing that, but not sure if it would be a waste of money or not?

·
Registered
14,057 Posts
We are trying to figure out possible issues:

1. Freon low; possible leak, more needs to be added and or leak needs to be fixed.
2. electrical problem; where the compressor isn't turning on.
3. compressor has failed; needs replacement etc. other components in the system need replaced.

Did you inspect the fuse box on top of the battery? Look at the link above; are any of the fuses melted or blown? What happens when you push the a/c buttons/dial to on? When the buttons are turned on; does the clutch on the compressor turn on and engage? Does it get cool inside the car? If you rev up the car or go for a drive on the highway; does it get warmer, cooler etc.?

A typical a/c "tune up"; would be to check the freon pressure, evaluate the system is working correctly (pressure in spec, temperature in spec) and add some extra freon if needed. If any repairs are needed: new parts, labor and freon beyond a certain amount, would probably cost extra.

When they check out the a/c system for free; what did they say was the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked all three of the green fuses on top of my battery - they all look brand new, so I am guessing these fuses are not the problem.

I started my car and checked underneath where I believe the compressor is located and noticed it was not turning on. All the other parts were rotating except one.

I then turned on my ac in the car and pushed in the AC button and the compressor (I believe) was still not turning. I noticed too it sounded like my car engine was "slowing down" and the area where with the compressor was making almost a cranking noise/surging as if it was trying to turn on? If that makes sense; its hard to describe the noise. But its almost like its tryin to turn its self on in intervals.

When I have the ac on and ac button pushed in, the air temperature is still the same and only blows out regular air or outside weather temperature air.

Maybe it is a part inside the compressor? Someone had mentioned it could be the clutch and to check the voltage?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts