VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GypsyJohn
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a couple of photos to help others with the tedious nature of replacing the condensor, and compressor. There are definitely better posts regarding step by step, than mine. However, I did discover, you don’t have to remove the fenders along with the bumper cover. The bumper cover can be removed by itself, there are two shoulder screws on each side, joining the fenders to the bumper cover, with backing plates, between the headlights and the engine compartment. The ABS bumper cover is fairly flexible and forgiving, once all other screws are removed, you can ‘hinge’ lift cover up to access two screws on each side. I chose not to reinstall, it will make it easier for next time. Bumper cover and fenders are solid without the two sets of screws. Hope this helps.

·
GypsyJohn
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The compressor was going out, so I decided, given the age of beetle, replaced condenser, compressor, expansion valve, and drier. A friend of mine is a certified AC tech, he pumped down the system, I replaced components, and o-rings, reinstalled. Kept the compressor unplugged, until I can get it pumped down again, and charged. The whole process took me 7 hours….don’t want to rush these things😜.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
This is what i did on my 02' turbo s, recently; fixed the failed valve in the original Sanden compressor, no cooling before the fix! I was actually, able to do the swap without removing the compressor.

Any recommendations; on parts quality, oem vs aftermarket, what brands you went with and where you bought them from? Thanks.

·
GypsyJohn
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great video! Thanks for sharing it, so you’re Kansascitytdi? I’ve used info from there, very cool.
As to your questions, for the most part, I use aftermarket, lower cost. The quality has been good, I’m pleased with the results. The only OEM per se, was the clutch kit I bought from a Valeo supplier in L.A. off of ebay. The throw out bearing broke during reassembling, and they sent me a replacement, no charge and free shipping! The primary place I buy my parts is RockAuto.com, been using them for 20+ years, no complaints.
Bear in mind, our beetle is 21 years old, and I worked in the wholesale supply aftermarket industry for several years, there are only so many manufacturers, and many private labels.
BTW, I have really enjoyed your posts over the years, clear, concise, and you don’t berate anyone for not knowing what you know.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
No, I am not the owner of kansascitytdi or the person who made the video; just someone, who benefitting from it and in my case, my internal valve, was bad, just like shown in the video! It successfully, restored the function of my compressor and my a/c is now working, cooling as it should!

Thanks, for the compliments; I try to help if I can and sometimes, we are able to help, get people's cars back on the road! When, we all try to help each other out; we see, many successes and contribute, to the helpful body of knowledge here, then we all benefit, from helping the new beetle community! :)

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
I asked about the a/c parts; as, I was thinking, I was going to have to do what you did and replace the whole a/c system. Being new to fixing and repairing a/c systems; I was having a hard time, figuring out, what the "good" oe/oem parts were vs all of the cheap Chinese junk, that is sold everywhere these days.

The one thing, I did find out; was that Sanden, has been a oem to VW on the a/c compressors, which was the case for mine and then, possibly, Valeo, on other parts, like the condenser. I was looking for oem parts; genuine vw, were definitely out of my price range and like many parts, you can typically get the exact same parts, by researching who the oem supplier is, then buying it through their brand. www.fcpeuro.com, has been a great supplier; they seem, to always have quality parts and I was thinking, of buying parts through them, their lifetime warranty is a great added insurance, when buying parts from them.

I was able to get the Sanden/VW part # off of the sticker; from the original compressor on my car and then, research the model #, then order the correct internal valve and the gaskets, that needed to be replaced.

It seems, the Sanden compressors; are known, for this valve failure and even on the later clutchless types, a similar valve, is on the outside of the compressor and it fails, as well with the same results, failed pressure, no cooling.

removed failed valve and plate; that allow the pistons, to push pressure by the reed type one way valves.

·
GypsyJohn
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 252755
Sanden sticker; on my compressor, easy to identify which unit i had.
I did same, but ordered a reman unit/kit from a company called ACCompressor World in L.A. no core charge. The kit contained the compressor, expansion valve, pag oil, o-rings, and drier for$161.61. The condensor I ordered from Carpartswholesale on ebay, for about $60.00. The compressor came with 4 oz of oil, I am researching how much I need to add for my rig. Thanks for the replys!

·
GypsyJohn
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did same, but ordered a reman unit/kit from a company called ACCompressor World in L.A. no core charge. The kit contained the compressor, expansion valve, pag oil, o-rings, and drier for$161.61. The condensor I ordered from Carpartswholesale on ebay, for about $60.00. The compressor came with 4 oz of oil, I am researching how much I need to add for my rig. Thanks for the replys!
Found the capacity, compressor takes 4.6 oz/135cc of pag oil

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
These guys? TheACCompressorWorld | eBay Stores

Their normal website; seems to be down for maintenance. Let us know, how the rest of the a/c repairs go and share more info or pictures, you are willing to contribute. I don't know, how long my compressor and other parts of my a/c will last and I may, end up doing the same as you, in the future. As always, any info about repairs contribute to the site knowledge base; thanks for contributing and I look forward, to hearing about the results of your replacement a/c system! :)

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
Found the capacity, compressor takes 4.6 oz/135cc of pag oil
Also, look up the fact; that you are replacing everything, as some a/c repair docs, say to add more PAG oil, to compensate, for all new parts, rather then just the compressor.

·
GypsyJohn
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, look up the fact; that you are replacing everything, as some add more, for all new parts, rather then just the compressor.
Makes sense, thank you. As I’m able, I’ll keep you all posted, its nice to finally be able to contribute. Your posts, Smileybug, and a couple of other regular contributors, have helped me keep our beetle safely on the road since 2013. After I get AC charged, I found a site that custom mixes paint, AutomotiveTouchupPaint.com, they have a chart for different parts of vehicle, how much color, and clear coat for each section, whether 12oz can or air…soI’m going to experiment with bumper cover next month🤔

·
GypsyJohn
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These guys? TheACCompressorWorld | eBay Stores

Their normal website; seems to be down for maintenance. Let us know, how the rest of the a/c repairs go and share more info or pictures, you are willing to contribute. I don't know, how long my compressor and other parts of my a/c will last and I may, end up doing the same as you, in the future. As always, any info about repairs contribute to the site knowledge base; thanks for contributing and I look forward, to hearing about the results of your replacement a/c system! :)
Yes, thats the place I used.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
Saw this new video, on a similar mark iv gen jetta: thought this could be useful, to others doing a compressor and a/c system replacement:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
GypsyJohn
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Saw this new video, on a similar mark iv gen jetta: thought this could be useful, to others doing a compressor and a/c system replacement:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Update: AC charged up nicely today! Very cold and quiet. Mission accomplished. Front hubs and bearings next weekend.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
Solid work; glad, you got everything back together and ended up with cold a/c! :)

Can you share, anymore info; about how the install went, if you added extra PAG oil, aside from the compressor capacity and what brand of parts you used? A overall evaluation, of the a/c kit you bought and any extra, advice, for those, considoring a full a/c repair? Thanks! :)

·
GypsyJohn
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Solid work; glad, you got everything back together and ended up with cold a/c! :)

Can you share, anymore info; about how the install went, if you added extra PAG oil, aside from the compressor capacity and what brand of parts you used? A overall evaluation, of the a/c kit you bought and any extra, advice, for those, considoring a full a/c repair? Thanks! :)
The AC kit, had everything I needed. O-rings, compressor, expansion valve and drier. The condenser was separate purchase. About $ 230.00. The hoses were in good shape still, so I didn’t change. I would suggest removing the alternator, it would make the removal/ installation of compressor easier. Youtube university, had examples of that being done.
I used a trolley jack, with a homemade wood adapter plate, ( I had used it to support transaxle last year for clutch job) 10” square, 2” thick with 2” hole to fit over jack pad to support the condensor and radiator, in addition to a small ratchet strap, making it possible, not to disconnect the radiator, and still replace condenser. I had bought a Bentley single year emanual, for reference, as well as reviewing as many youtube videos on different approaches to a full ac repair. For me, thorough preparation is a ‘must’, none of this is easy to do, about 7 hours, 3 hrs, then a couple hour break, 4 hours to complete.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts