NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AC clutch doesn't engage, no 12v.
I found an open clutch coil (replaced), I found low speed issues with both fans (replaced). FCM, i have a spare and makes no difference. All fuses are good and battery terminal block replaced as well.
When ign key is on, (engine not running) both fans turn at low speed even with AC button not pushed in. When key is turned off, low speed fans run for 10min then shut off. Is this normal?
Ive started to recharged the system and get low side up to about 45psi but with no clutch ops, cant I charge completely.
ALSO temp display above rear view mirror reads correctly.
How do i rule out Hi pressure switch?
The Temp sensor on radiator?
Is there a different ambient temp sensor or any other sensor i need to look at that would cause this?

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
Which new beetle; are you working on: year, model, engine and trans. Here is a great thread; to start with on the fans working correctly:

https://www.newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/43260-summer-s-coming-here-check-your-fans.html

Your fans spinning without the car running or a/c switch on; doesn't sound right (unless it is cooling off a hot engine). Give us more info about your car and maybe we can give you some links to service manual info, that might be helpful in troubleshooting your a/c problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Right on top of the starter is a four prong plug. Two of those wires go directly to the compressor to activate the electric clutch. Check that plug. If you can see it this is what I found on mine.

I think you can click on the logo.

·
phantom302
230 Posts
On Heidi (2003 2.0 GL) there is a temp sensor on the passenger side of the car, under the plastic cowl cover. If I remember correctly between the passenger side wiper and side of the car, closer to the side than the wiper. It look just like the one behind the grill for the temp display.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It sounds like your coolant high temperature sensor. If it has failed reading that the car is hot, it will disable the AC system. Takes about 3 minutes 23 seconds to change it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks or the reply's. I changed the engine temp sensor (cheap and easy) no change. I did find the ambient temp sensor which tested good. approx 1k ohm's (at 80 deg roughly) and does decrease resistances when exposed to heat.
DOES anyone know where that feeds into the FCM and what roll it plays...
Any other ideas?
Thanks again...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ac compressor clutch good but wont engage. FIXED!

Well it came down to a blown 10a fuse ( F16 ) which feeds 12v to T14 /4
of the FCM. So thats it. And i thought i checked all the fuses... Gesh...
Thanks for all the tips and replies...

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
Huh, the basics; easy to overlook things! Another no power a/c compressor issue; solved by fuses or a unplugged compressor! Good troubleshooting and repair work. Glad you finally; got it fixed! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts