VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 2.0 beetle. AC switch lights, fans come on but no AC clutch engage. Engine dips in rpm every 3-4 seconds when AC switch is on....test light hooked to wires going to compressor flashes every time engine "dips". Engine off, key on, AC switch on,....I get .4 volts to compressor...Help!! It's hot! Thanks. SBJ

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Remove, check left side green 30A fuse from top of battery. Even if good, clean blade terminals until shiny with sandpaper, then coat with dilectric grease and reinstall. Very common problem on NB. If the block is melted below the fuse, you'll need to replace it. Cheap, easy, and also very common.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed that fuse and the fans shut off....installed again and they came back on.....since that happened, I assumed fuse is making contact....I will try your solution and thanks for the response!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The fact that your engine dipping sounds like your A/C is trying to come on, are you sure you have enough charge in your A/C? a drop in charge will stop it from working.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The fact that your engine dipping sounds like your A/C is trying to come on, are you sure you have enough charge in your A/C? a drop in charge will stop it from working.
My recent experience with a leak in a hose indicates that when the pressure in the system drops too low then the compressor and fans do not engage at all. Also unless the pressure loss was sudden then like my problem with the leak the AC worked and got less and less effective until it wouldn't come on at all.

I think the compressor clutch engaging and then failing to continue indicates that the compressor itself is faulty and will need to be replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts