NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Beetle. I've had the car for about 2 years and the AC never has worked. Due to the high temps Maine has been getting I finally looked into fixing it. But am unsure where to start. When I turned the car on cold start and turn the AC on neither fans start and the compressor does not start. Any suggestions would be great!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

I tested the fuses on the top of the battery and have power there and I tested the fuse in the number 5 spot and the number 16 spot both are new.

·
Registered
708 Posts
There are many switches in a A/C system that can stop the functions from working. First, is there freon? You have to have a gauge and find out. Then is the pressure too high or too low. Then if all is good, is there voltage getting to the clutch on the compressor and trace back until you find where the voltage is lost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Ok, Have tried lots of things, changed the fan module, replaced all fuses. I jumped the compressor and it works. The last thing I did was add freon. It was low and I a little up to get it up to 35 psi. At first nothing happened and it was getting late and I went to bed. The next morning I went out and started the car and the AC kicked on both fans and Compressor clutch kicked in. The gauge went down to under 15 so I added more using the whole can and it read 32. It ran for a few minutes getting cold then kicked off and started blowing warm air. I got frustrated and turned the car off and walked away for an hour. I then went out and started the car and the fans turned on and the compressor kicked in and it seemed to be working fine. Then car was getting nice and cool. Then after about 5 minutes it kicked off and started blowing out cold air and wouldn't get cold again. I haven't take it for a spin yet may try and see what it does. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
708 Posts
You need to find out the pressure reading on the high side. It sounds like you have a partial blockage and causing the high side to pressurize too high and the safety switch is cutting it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the delay in getting an update. I went to my brother who has a small garage and a Auto AC machine. They hooked it up and sucked all the old freon and and oil out and filled it to VW specs that were listed in the engine compartment. No comes the confusing part. When the car is started cold and the AC turned on, both fans start along with the compressor and I get nice cold air. But it will shut off after about a couple of minutes and blow warm air and if I try and turn it on when the car has been running for awhile it will not come on. Very confusing!!:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
finally a day off!! I cannot get a high side reading my gauge does not fit the high side.

When I get the running before it shuts off the lowside reads about 32 psi.
After it shuts off it goes to about 75 psi

·
Registered
708 Posts
finally a day off!! I cannot get a high side reading my gauge does not fit the high side.

When I get the running before it shuts off the lowside reads about 32 psi.
After it shuts off it goes to about 75 psi
The gauge you have only fits the low side. You have to buy a gauge set, you can get a cheaper set at Harbor Freight. The reason you need to check the high side is to see if there is a partial blockage.

Looking at what you quoted, you pressures are too high. It takes a little while to completely compress the whole system and as it compresses, it must be hitting the high safety switch.

The low side for a 98 NB is, 17-26#s max. You might have a partial blockage in the expansion valve, so you will have to get a high side reading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts