VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
2001 VW Beetle, 2.0 liter
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading where the subject relay #384 is a common issue with Volkswagens. Can anyone tell me if the 2001 Beetles use this relay? Looking for a good wiring diagram of the AC system too if anyone can help me out with that. I found one in a Haynes Repair manual, but it doesn't show which pins are which wires from what I can tell. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
15,841 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
There is no relay involved in controlling the A/C on the New Beetle. The high current switching for the compressor clutch is done in the fan control module (J293) which is mounted near the radiator. See the attached files in this link for more info:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...3260-summers-coming-here-check-your-fans.html

The Autozone website has free wiring diagrams for a lot of cars, but you have to register to get them.

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all of the information. Right now my fans don't come on and the compressor doesn't engage when turned on. I did manage to verify the fans by jumping pins 1 and 2 and then 2 to 3 at the thermo switch. That's as far as I've gone other than to check all the fuses. Will be diving into this in the morning.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The load reduction relay (position 2, type 100) needs to work, but you will have a lot more problems than just the a/c if that is out.

I think the most common electrical problem with the NB a/c is a bad fuse connection on the panel over the battery. Sounds like your symptoms. See this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjTvVKS2dR4

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I had already replaced that fuse box on top of the battery, because I had read so much about them being melted. When I pulled that 3 from the left fuse out it was indeed melted beneath and I couldn't see any copper down inside the contact area. Is there a way to test the new one to see if it is doing as it is supposed to? What all does that load reduction relay (position 2, type 100) do? Is this the one everyone is calling #384?

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One other question. I've never used a multi-meter to measure Duty Cycle before. In fact mine wouldn't even measure it, so I bought one that would. It came in yesterday. My question is when the instruction says to "Check pin T14/2 using a duty cycle meter." Obviously one test lead has to go to T14/2, however, what would I connect the black test lead to?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The connection from the 30A fuse goes to the fan control module, so you could look for 12v there. I think the connection info is in those attachments in the "summers coming" thread.

The purpose of the load reduction relay is to switch off non-essential power draws during the time when the starter motor is cranking the engine. It reduces the load on the battery to give it more power for cranking the engine. It switches off the a/c, fresh air blower, turn signals, rear defroster and windshield wipers.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The black test lead almost always will be connected to the negative battery terminal, or any ground (metal surface) on the vehicle.

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, thanks. I only asked because I thought that maybe I was supposed to connect the ground to a ground pin in the 14 pin connector. So ground is any ground for the test. Good to know.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The 30A fuse (S180) should connect to the coolant fan thermal switch pin 2 and to pin 3 of the 4 pin connector on the fan control module.

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
red99,

I went to a local salvage yard and bought a $2 AC Compressor connector with pigtail of about 12" long to make it easier to test the resistance of the compressor. Unplugged the existing connector and plugged in the one from the salvage yard after stripping back about 1/2" of wire at the ends of the pigtail. The resistance reading went straight to megaohms and read "0.L". From what I've read it sounds like an open in the windings and the whole compressor needs to be replaced. Does this sound right to you? Or am I measuring something wrong? I have pictures of the setup, but can't figure out how to get them posted.

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I went to step through everything I had done and then started taking apart my setup. Then I noticed that one of the black wires that I had stripped actually had a brown insulation under it, which looked like bare copper to me. I stripped off the brown insulation about a 1/2" and re-checked the resistance and low and behold it was measuring 3.8 ohms. Whew! I'm guessing that is about right for this AC Compressor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I went to step through everything I had done and then started taking apart my setup. Then I noticed that one of the black wires that I had stripped actually had a brown insulation under it, which looked like bare copper to me. I stripped off the brown insulation about a 1/2" and re-checked the resistance and low and behold it was measuring 3.8 ohms. Whew! I'm guessing that is about right for this AC Compressor.
That resistance is fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I keep reading different post on how to perform a clutch engagement test although it's still not clear to me on how to do it. Is this the same as jumping the compressor to get it running where some are recommending to use a 30 amp fuse to do it? Then there are some that say to never do it. If someone can point me to a good thread to perform this test of engaging the clutch correctly that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
A/c

you can just jumper the compressor wires with battery voltage and it should engage just don't leave it like that for too long. I believe your problem is some other device like the FCM or the fusebox. Remove the 3 wire plug going to the fusebox and put a voltmeter so you can read the 13 volts DC, then wiggle the 3 green fuses on the fusebox you might have loose continuity or a bad FCM (fan control module)

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to see if the clutch will engage, shouldn't the jump from the battery be done with the engine not running?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts