NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To clear it up, yes, I've checked the fans.;)

We've got a 99 NB and she's got lots of little issues, but with the heat index hitting 113 this week, this one bubbled to a top priority fast. If we stop for a red light, or traffic slows us under 30 mph, the air almost instantly gets hotter. It's not hot air but it is significantly warmer than when cruising above 30 mph.

Tonight I had her parked and I turn on the AC and observed the fans. Both come on, and spin well. I checked the AC quality and it was too warm as I expected. Turning on recirculate doesn't help either.

I've done a bit of searching, but I'm not much of a car person and everything I've found keeps leading me back to the fans, or fan clutch, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Readiness codes should be set, but I haven't looked since she went through marta back in the fall.

Any DTCs in the ECM?
Sorry, I'm unsure of what you mean on this.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,009 Posts
Basically, any codes stored?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To my knowledge, no, however I haven't had anyone look at it just yet, I was hoping to get some ballpark ideas before having to invest a lot of cash on it yet.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,009 Posts
Autozone, etc should be able to read codes for free. Where are you located? There may also be someone with a VAG-COM nearby that can pull codes for you.

·
Vehicular Curmudgeon
35 Posts
From a purely logical standpoint, the refrigerant level is the very first thing to have checked (by a reputable shop). Low freon + low compressor RPM = low system pressure. As RPM increases, system pressure increases, improving cooling function. Probably would not throw a code. (Edit) See another A/C thread under 2.0 forum. Freon could be so low as to cause low-pressure safety switch to prevent compressor clutch from engaging at low RPM.

Hope this helps. Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Greater Nashville area. What codes would I be concerned with?
Well basically, any codes that come up! But there is a good chance you won't get any. And it would seem your not alone, here's another thread currently running.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/51344-c-electrical-diagnosis.html

Without personal experience, I would have to look up the wiring schematic in the Bentley and see what safe guards are in place. Seems there are things that revolve around 30 mph and/or 2000 rpm with these systems, reading other threads that are currently running.

MORAV

MORAV

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, a little more info to go on.

I have a can of R134a with a pressure gauge on it. I hooked this up to the correct (I think) spot and the gauge reads high pressure, about 100 on it. The place I used was near the radiator?

Also just sitting in the parking lot, I put it in neutral and slowly revved the engine up. Once I hit about 2000 rpm, I feel the engine drag a little, rpm dipped, and the air turned ice cold. So its not a airflow it would appear at least.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Freon cans with gauges only fit on the low pressure port. If you're reading 100 psi, your compressor is not pumping at that moment. 100 psi is where the static pressure should be at or near. Hook the gauge back up and get someone to rev it up and see where the pressure reads when you hear the compressor kick on. If it reads around 25 to 35 lbs you're doing alright. Then I would start to think low psi safety switch might be going bad. Just guessing without being there.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just gave that a shot, and sure enough the gauge dropped down once she was revved high enough. Still only dropped down to 65ish though, which according to the gauge was well above filled pressure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cruise control worked the last time I had it on the highway, but admittedly, I haven't tested that in a while. I'm unfamiliar with the throttle body or TPS?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wanted to follow up on this.

I managed to find a local auto shop that understood what my suspicions were. He suspected that yes the throttle needed to be relearned, and one of his techs thought his scanner could do it, so I drove by this afternoon.

$40 later (half hour labor) and she's running wonderful again. A/C is doing great, and she runs better as a whole.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Excellent!

Thanks for the follow-up. Glad all is well and the cost was minimal. I assume, since you didn't make note, that the Cruise is back also.

M.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new in the blog, however I want to post since it could be helpful for someone else. I notice the same problem than Glave in my New Beetle 99 (Manual shift), and I found a similar solution (#17) in other post.

However, I look for inofrmation and fund that the Throttle system can be reseted by diconect the battery for one minute, connect it back and switch the key to on position (do not start the car)and leave it for a couple of minutes (maybe the time that you spent attaching the cable again is enough).

That work for me :)

Gab.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts