NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the threads here detailing how to change headlight bulbs, but can anyone offer any insight as to how to get to the things? :confused: I have looked under the hood and can see the latch described in the how-to posts, but have no idea how to get to it. Do I have to remove the battery box to get to the driver's side headlight?

·
Tell your mom I said hi
444 Posts
You could probably ask 10 people and get 11 diferent answers. The headlight latch is one of the top 5 PITA on the NB in my opinion. Here is how I do it.
Get a long straight tip screw driver. Gentltly push in the loching portion of the latch. I need to stress gently. It will probably break anywaybut at least you tried not to.
While pressing in on lock, use finger tips to move latch down. I then use the flat tip of the screw driver to press down on the latch until it is all the way down. Use a large auto body dent removal suction cup, available at a parts place for about $10, it won't be the only time you use it, and gently pull out the headlight. Don't get to gorilla fisted with pulling or you can pull the headlight lens off the housing. It should pull out without alot of effort.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Also to be noted that the locking mechanism is a ring that will likely need some WD40 to make it lock back down right. Dirt and sand, etc getting in it's track makes it a REAL pain to relatch.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't thought about using the dent puller on the headlights, but it makes sense!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that didn't go so smoothly.

I just changed the headlight bulb and succeeded in breaking the lever that slides the locking ring around the headlight assembly. I'm not even sure I can get the assembly back in the car now without resorting to duct tape... :eek:

Does anyone happen to know if the locking ring/lever assembly is available separately?

·
Wazabi gone...
27 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
If you want to lubricate the ring, try to get hold of a dry graphite lubricant. Any grease based lubricant will gather dirt and dust which will cause problems in the future. Graphite will have less problems.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. My dealer does have the parts to replace those I destroyed, so that's good, but now I have other problems that just showed up. :confused:

Last night I replaced both low beam headlights and both rear tail/stop lights. This morning I noticed my glow plug warning light is flashing and my cruise control doesn't work. Does anyone know if these problems could be related to the bulb replacement? I did use LEDs in the tails in place of the standard 1157s, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I found the problem in the old forums. It seems a bad brake light switch will cause the flashing glow plug light and cruise control failure. Now I just have to find the brake light switch! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts