NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My wife just bought a used 99 Beetle, and it has the stock radio with tape player and cd changer in the trunk. Her previous car had an aux port in it so she could play all her music from her mp3 player through the radio.

This one does not have the aux port obviously, so I looked on ebay to see if there might be one that does. I came across this entry: VW Volkswagen Tape Radio 98 04 Beetle Aux Audio MP3 iPod SAT CD Control Warranty | eBay . It looks like they added one in somehow. Perhaps soldering the wires from the jack onto the pre-amp circuit.

I took apart the wife's radio, removed the cassette mechanism so I could see the board underneath. But I'm having trouble identifying the amp chip. Can anyone help with this? I'm confident of my soldering skills and have no doubt I could get this done, if only I can figure out which pins to connect the jack to.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Might want to contact the user factoryradios on ebay and see what they offer.

I believe they will mod the earlier radios for around $60. Not sure if what they do is too challenging??

What I did was update the head unit in my 2003 with a newer Monsoon system with Aux & OEM Sirius support.

Allowed me to keep full CD changer control, play CD's burned in MP3 format, have Aux with A2DP and hands free Bluetooth phone and I have all the factory OEM Sirius to install, just need the weather to break.

Check my thread here - http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/58487-7-90-aux-input-newer-head-unit.html#post815827

Do not get too excited at the cable I used will not give your head unit Aux capability, but did allow the new head unit to support Aux for less than $8!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Weather AND my schedule need to converge!!

Since it is my daughters car, most likely I will need to do the work during the week when I hopefully have FAR fewer interruptions!!

But I appreciate you looking out for me on this on. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where'd you get the OEM Sirius stuff, if you don't mind me asking? I've been looking on and off for years. I did the same thing you did--I've got a 2006-ish head unit in my wife's 2003 New Beetle. I also want to add the Sirius and aux input.

Might want to contact the user factoryradios on ebay and see what they offer.

I believe they will mod the earlier radios for around $60. Not sure if what they do is too challenging??

What I did was update the head unit in my 2003 with a newer Monsoon system with Aux & OEM Sirius support.

Allowed me to keep full CD changer control, play CD's burned in MP3 format, have Aux with A2DP and hands free Bluetooth phone and I have all the factory OEM Sirius to install, just need the weather to break.

Check my thread here - http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/58487-7-90-aux-input-newer-head-unit.html#post815827

Do not get too excited at the cable I used will not give your head unit Aux capability, but did allow the new head unit to support Aux for less than $8!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Auw port is pretty easy. Search my name under the audio forum. I have a thread titled something like $7.90 Aux cable.

Get an Aux cable from ebay, hardest part is the connector is wrong and you need to carefully remove the terminals from the connector. I was impatient so I carefully cut the connector to get the terminal out. After using diagonal pliers I ended with the large chef knife and cutting board!

As for Sirius, new modules are all over ebay for $50. I had to buy 2-3 connectors and some repair wires from the dealer. I still need to install all the geat. Will need to splice harness, but in the end I will have 6 CD changer, Sirius, Aux input, MP3 CD capability! The CD changer audio is routed through the Sirius module then there are a few buss wires and power.

Antenna likely under dash or on dash near windshield as I have a convertible with Monsoon system.

I am also running Belkin Bluetooth hand free that also supports A2DP wireless music streaming from the phone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Auw port is pretty easy. Search my name under the audio forum. I have a thread titled something like $7.90 Aux cable.

Get an Aux cable from ebay, hardest part is the connector is wrong and you need to carefully remove the terminals from the connector. I was impatient so I carefully cut the connector to get the terminal out. After using diagonal pliers I ended with the large chef knife and cutting board!

As for Sirius, new modules are all over ebay for $50. I had to buy 2-3 connectors and some repair wires from the dealer. I still need to install all the geat. Will need to splice harness, but in the end I will have 6 CD changer, Sirius, Aux input, MP3 CD capability! The CD changer audio is routed through the Sirius module then there are a few buss wires and power.

Antenna likely under dash or on dash near windshield as I have a convertible with Monsoon system.

I am also running Belkin Bluetooth hand free that also supports A2DP wireless music streaming from the phone.
Wow. When I tried this years ago, I was told that you needed a harness to use the OEM Sirius module--I could find the modules easily (like you said), I just didn't know how to connect them to the radio.

Sounds like you're just making that harness. How do you know which wires to plug in where?

I read your thread about the $.7.90 connector, too. Sent you a p.m. Same questions there--how to you know which wires go where in the back of the radio and which are which on the eBay connector? And where did you get the 6-wire plug that goes to the back of the radio?

I'd love to do the same thing you're doing. That sounds great.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The connector you need should part of the current plug that goes in the radio, came with the car. The radio should be marked, although not as clear as it could be.

Yes I will make my own harness. The parts guys do not have enough info to help out. Module will/should mount behind glove box.

I will not be able to provide much detail until April as I do not have info at hand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The connector you need should part of the current plug that goes in the radio, came with the car. The radio should be marked, although not as clear as it could be.

Yes I will make my own harness. The parts guys do not have enough info to help out. Module will/should mount behind glove box.

I will not be able to provide much detail until April as I do not have info at hand.
How about on the aux. input? I read the thread, but I'm not sure which wires go in which ports on the plug.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I think??? it uses the Green connector on the rear of the radio. Hard to explain, but the main radio connector is actually 3 connectors that nest together. You will have a connector with no wires, I thing 6 pin??? And you need to use 3 of the connector cavities for the Aux input.

I will try to get picks when I get around to the Sirius add on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think??? it uses the Green connector on the rear of the radio. Hard to explain, but the main radio connector is actually 3 connectors that nest together. You will have a connector with no wires, I thing 6 pin??? And you need to use 3 of the connector cavities for the Aux input.

I will try to get picks when I get around to the Sirius add on.
Right, but doesn't it matter in which of the six ports in the connector the wires go? There are three wires coming out of the aux wire--I just pick any three ports in the connector?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
No, you need to use Left, Right & Common. Most radios have a sticker/legend on what each pin signal is. Can be a bit tricky, but if you study it, you should be able to figure it out.

You might be able to find info online as well.

I tested my signals before I plugged the terminals into the connector because the terminals are a PITA/next to impossible to remove without the proper 2 sided pin release tool. That is why I just cut the ebay connector as I did not want to damage the Aux cable. For the price, buy 2 Aux cables just in case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, you need to use Left, Right & Common. Most radios have a sticker/legend on what each pin signal is. Can be a bit tricky, but if you study it, you should be able to figure it out.

You might be able to find info online as well.

I tested my signals before I plugged the terminals into the connector because the terminals are a PITA/next to impossible to remove without the proper 2 sided pin release tool. That is why I just cut the ebay connector as I did not want to damage the Aux cable. For the price, buy 2 Aux cables just in case.
How did you identify which wires were which on the aux. cable? That was the testing part? How do you do that test?

After waiting this long to get my wife an aux. input, I'm ready to make this happen a.s.a.p.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Legend/sticker on radio to ID signal connections.

Tested by connecting ONLY the terminals to the radio pins to make sure legend/sticker was correct and I did not misunderstand legend/sticker. Kind of a PITA as the terminals do not easily stay on pins due to the design.

Fair warning, do not expect easy terminal extraction if you get it wrong!

Order cable(s), once in hand may make more sense. I the purchased a female-female 1/8" stereo audio adapter to make a simple, clean connection where I had my Belkin unit to connect as male-male would not connect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Legend/sticker on radio to ID signal connections.

Tested by connecting ONLY the terminals to the radio pins to make sure legend/sticker was correct and I did not misunderstand legend/sticker. Kind of a PITA as the terminals do not easily stay on pins due to the design.

Fair warning, do not expect easy terminal extraction if you get it wrong!

Order cable(s), once in hand may make more sense. I the purchased a female-female 1/8" stereo audio adapter to make a simple, clean connection where I had my Belkin unit to connect as male-male would not connect.
I think I lack the vocabulary I need here. I ordered the aux. cable from eBay last night. I plan to either buy the tool needed to take the wires and the associated little metal end/terminal out of the plastic terminal block, or else cut them out like you did.

Then I will look at the back of the radio, hoping there's a sticker there that details the wiring diagram.

How do I know which of the wires on the aux. cord are which? Or, even if the radio clearly identified where to put each of the three wires, how will I know which wire that is in the cable?

Wait--are you saying manually hold the metal terminals on the aux wires to the assumed pins in the radio and see if music comes through the speakers, and if so, plug into the terminal?

That seems almost too simple... :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts