NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

As the title states, I'm currently trying to add footwell lights to the bug. The light will turn on when I enter and leave the vehicle, so the easiest way I thought of doing this is by tapping into the mirror/dome light circuit, as they light up this way already in the door setting. However, I don't know where dome light circuit is, is it controlled from somewhere under the dash? (the mirror/dome is pretty far from the footwell, so extending a wire from there is not a viable option.)

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

·
~Feel the Sting~
2,441 Posts
Hm.. one though, when you open the drivers door, there is a fuse-box right there on the side of the dash. Open it up, and the diagram on the inside of that little doorflap should tell you which one controls the door lights, etc. And it should be pretty easy to trace from there :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
footwell lightings

digging up old post.

i managed to trace the fuse tt is meant for the dome light. but what do i do next? i'm quite a noob in wiring cause my 2005 beetle is my first car ever! :)

·
1,255 Posts
Interior Light Wiring Diagram

Hope this helps. Quality of diagram isn't the best, but maybe you can gleam something from it.

I am doing the same with my 09 NBC. I have two trunk lights installed one under each side. Now just manually switched. Considering connecting the ground side to the comfort module (T23/21) as shown in the wiring diagram. Keep me posted on your progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
footwell light

hmm.. thanks alot but i seriously understand nothing from the diagram. where can i find these wiring in the car? is there another helpful person who has a step by step installation.. i have the lights with me already but have no clue how to install. would like to have it on/off exactly like the dome light. hmm

·
1,255 Posts
I haven't seen a "how-to" yet. Well, you should have a little knowledge of automotive electrical and reading diagrams before doing any electrical mods.

A simpler way to get you going is just add a switch to turn them on and off manually which I have done. Just conveniently locate the switch. You can find 12V, hot all times, on the relay panel under the driver side dash. There is a stud you, as I did, can connect to. Be careful, it is HOT all time! You should fuse your installation for safety.

I plan to connect one side (hot) of the lights to that terminal and the other side of the lights to terminal T23/21 on the comfort module which is controls the interior lights auto off feature. I do not know how much more current this circuit can sink. Any one know?

I know this is a brief explanation. Try to find a friend who understands the diagram for guidance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
footwell lightings

hmm.. i guess i'd better seek the help of a technician before i screw up those wiring. Haha.
Hope someone comes up with a pictured "How to" man

Thanks for your kind help anyway. really appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I plan to connect one side (hot) of the lights to that terminal and the other side of the lights to terminal T23/21 on the comfort module which is controls the interior lights auto off feature. I do not know how much more current this circuit can sink. Any one know?

I know this is a brief explanation. Try to find a friend who understands the diagram for guidance.

If u have 2 trunk lights (5w) it would be:
10W/12V = 833mA with the engine off
and 740mA (+/-) with the engine running

If you just tap the term. 21 footwell lights will always remain on (by always i mean every time the courtesy lights suposed to be on).

Inside the rearview mirror there're two wires that ground the two courtesy (reading) lights (actually they're three, one with 12v (blu/red); another with ground/dimmed ground for right court. light and other ground/dimmed ground for left court. light).

If you tap any of those wires (instead of doing it straight to term. 21) you can control the footwell lights with the mirror switch light (on/off/door).

I just founded an halogen bulb (3v 280mA -less that 1W-) that brights just like a 3.8w incandescent bulb. I'm gonna use it for the footwell lights.

·
1,255 Posts
Gallo, your explanation is exactly how I think the circuit will work. If I just tap into T23/21, as you stated, they will come on each time the door is opened and perhaps when the mirror light is turned on too, and with no way to totally turn them off. I have been looking at using a relay between 12V and T23/21. Use the NO contacts on the ground side of the lamps and a switch on the 12V side. Doing this, I won't get the slow decay in going off, just on to off. Then I won't be able to turn them on, just off. Maybe not such a good idea.

However, I am still wondering if T23/21 of the comfort module can sink it an additional 833ma of the two bulbs? If the module is the same for all models and years which have two back reading/interior lights, then it should. Do you know?

Using the mirror switch is a possibility which I have thought about. But I am concerned about if the mirror's switch can handle the additional current and fishing wires to the mirror. I am thinking of making a 12V LED array which will use less than 30ma each. But I don't like the blue-white color.

Thanks for you discussion. Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
However, I am still wondering if T23/21 of the comfort module can sink it an additional 833ma of the two bulbs? If the module is the same for all models and years which have two back reading/interior lights, then it should. Do you know?
I don't; i mean, i know what i'm talking about but, as i said in the other post, i don't know the model of the power transistor, so adding 833mA and expecting for nothing to happen would be just guessing.

Using the mirror switch is a possibility which I have thought about. But I am concerned about if the mirror's switch can handle the additional current and fishing wires to the mirror. I am thinking of making a 12V LED array which will use less than 30ma each. But I don't like the blue-white color.

Thanks for you discussion. Tom
Don't worry about the switch, it can handle it.

I don't like the color either (looks less original).

I see two solutions:
*Shifting the 5w bulbs (use the holder, but change the bulb) for halogen bulbs (3 or 6v) or
*Using 5w bulb with an aftermarket dimmer (and by aftermarket i mean a VERY simple, cheap dimmer u can assemble by your own)

·
1,255 Posts
I just may try mixing some yellow LED's with the blue/whites and see what I get. I know T23/21 would handle that small amount of current.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just may try mixing some yellow LED's with the blue/whites and see what I get. I know T23/21 would handle that small amount of current.
Go ahead dude.

As i said, i'm gonna use 3v halogen bulbs, whose light looks exactly like an incadescent bulb.

·
1,255 Posts
I see that you have a good understanding of Ohm's law!

·
1,255 Posts
Well now that explains it. Great career. I am retired from the electrical and electronics industries, but no degree, shame on me. Television manufacturing, Security Systems QE, conveyor motor control/systems design, traffic signals and my other hobby ham radio.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well now that explains it. Great career. I am retired from the electrical and electronics industries, but no degree, shame on me. Television manufacturing, Security Systems QE, conveyor motor control/systems design, traffic signals and my other hobby ham radio.
Terrific. I didn't know what ham radio is, i had to google it!

·
1,255 Posts
Ham radio or Amateur Radio. Look at www.arrl.org or www.eham.net for insight about Amateur Radio. There are many sites to browse. My call sign is N5AS

All of my parts came from a local salvage yard. Need to go back soon and get the auto dimming rear-view mirror wiring harness/connectors. I am adding the auto-dim mirror to my 09 NBC. These mirrors are hard to find.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts