NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the good fortune of finding a used, working door lock actuator on ebay for $46. All the electronics related to this are now happy for the first time since I've owned the car. However.......The interior door cable is about 3 inches too short and the exterior handle cable is slightly long. The result is that I cannot open the passenger door except by pulling the cable from the inside. (We took the door panel back off when the latch didn't work). I assume this is because the actuator came from something besides a beetle.
As a med student on a very tight budget, I can live with this if I have to. However, I am thinking about cutting the cable from the old actuator and, using wire clamps of some sort, making an extension to hook on to the existing cable. Any thoughts? Also, is there any way to just shorten the cable which goes to the outside door handle?
:confused:

Thanks so much

·
Registered
867 Posts
Sounds like you got a latch for different model. You might be able to swap the cables from your old latch.

The inside cable should just pop off, I'm not sure about the outside one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you got a latch for different model. You might be able to swap the cables from your old latch.

The inside cable should just pop off, I'm not sure about the outside one.
Thanks! I didn't think about the cables being swappable. I'll play with it this weekend and see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts