NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just brought home a 2008 New Beetle Convertible and I'm going to do a brake job on it. I'm going to replace all four rotors with drilled and slotted rotors and have had good luck with carbon-metallic pads but am wondering whether those are the best choice for this size and weight of car (I normally work on larger stuff where stopping distances, brake fade and so on are critical concerns). It'll be my wife's daily driver, partly on country roads and partly on the interstate. Any recommendations or experiences with various brake pad materials?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
I really don't think you need to go above and beyond the brakes that were included with the Beetle. Standard rotors and pads are going to be fine and friendly to your wallet.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The Power Stop kit is slightly cheaper than the dealer replacement due to free shipping and likely no sales tax.

Yes you can purchase rear rotors for under $10 each, but when it comes to brakes, I do not go cheap as you only have one chance with brakes.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Interesting, I don't get free shipping so the cost on those jump to well over $400.

What's even more interesting is that the kit claims to be compatible with my 98TDI. Now correct me if I'm wrong but your front brakes on the 1.8T have a larger rotor and different calipers than what appear on the TDI or 2.0.

Yes, checked at ECS, rotors for the 1.8T are listed at 288x25, for the TDI and 2.0 listed is 280x22 for front.

The kit for the TDI is K5402, Amazon list of $233 which is a pretty good deal if those rotors and pads are actually as good as advertised.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not sure the differences in the years and rotor sizes so you do have to be careful you get the correct kit number. Another good source is AutoAnything.com they ship free. You could also to to Power Stop's web site and see all the other online dealers as well.

I actually ordered a set for my BMW 330cic today from Auto Anything as they were slightly cheaper than Amazon, but there was some question on the application. So I called Auto Anything and they contacted Power Stop and even Power Stop was a bit stumped on my specific application. I am waiting to hear back from Auto Anything on the final kit part number.

The Auto Anything guys have also had good things to say about the Power Stops.

I have a $3k Brembo kit on another BMW I have. Slotted rotors. Nice set up with 4 piston caliper and big long brake pads. The Brembo slotted rotors make a bit of a roar when you jump on the brakes hard at speed, pretty typical of slotted rotors, but the Power Stop slotted/cross drilled combo is a LOT quieter on the VW. Not sure if this is due to less slots, rubber caliper isolation or why, but much quieter than the $3k Brembo system.

I can say the VW did stop pretty good with OE brakes and at least on my car the OE would have likely lasted 100k miles, I changed them at 78k miles due to the car sitting and the rotors were very rusted up. I decided it was not worth spending the money on turning the rotors when I was able to install the entire kit for $275.

Here is a shot of the front rotors on the car with the $275 full Blauparts.com strut and shock kit! And this is with about 7500 miles on the brakes. If you catch that I am missing the metal anti rattle wire on the caliper, I just happened to take the picture before I put the wire back on the caliper, so it is there now, just not for the picture. Also for daily driving, not sure how long these Power Stop pads will last, but very little wear at 7500 miles. Also I usually find the slotted and drilled rotors tend to run much cooler than solids and will likely also extend the life for daily use. If you track ANYTHING, expect very accelerated brake wear. But this system seems to really work well, more expensive than bargain parts house Bendix or Wagner, but I think also a much better quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
What is your guys opinion about the Power Stop K899? Or it better the Sport Zimmerman cross-drilled?
Zimmerman comes with wear sensors, Power Stop don't.

thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
good to know!! Thank you!

between Premium one ATE and Power Stop Evolution, there is a big difference?
At the moment the dealer next to my home has only the ATE one..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts