VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 GLS 2.0L with 120,000.

I replaced my sensor back in 2011, and recently again after the 1296 code appeared earlier this year (2014).

Since then the code has come on and off intermittently. It seems like it may be weather-related when the code appears. When we had a couple days of real warm weather (northern GA) a couple weeks ago, it was off. Now its back on.

I have reset it a couple times at the auto parts store, but the 1296 code inevitably returns.

It could be in my head, but it seems like it takes an awfully long time for engine to warm up (and for the blue temp light to go off).

What should I look at next? After some research, a part of me thinks that the problem could be thermostat related. I don't have record of ever replacing the thermostat.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I change my oil (and have put in a new driver side window regulator), but I am not that great with car maintenance unless I can see a clear tutorial online.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
I would replace your thermostat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. I am going to research replacing the thermostat.

If I decided I couldn't/didn't want to do it myself, what is a reasonable price for a mechanic to charge?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses. I am going to research replacing the thermostat.

If I decided I couldn't/didn't want to do it myself, what is a reasonable price for a mechanic to charge?
Has the water pump ever been replaced? If not, the original factory pumps with the plastic impeller have a tendency to break, resulting in lower than normal coolant flow throughout the system. When we did the timing belt on ours, we also replaced the water pump and thermostat "while we had it apart".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has the water pump ever been replaced? If not, the original factory pumps with the plastic impeller have a tendency to break, resulting in lower than normal coolant flow throughout the system. When we did the timing belt on ours, we also replaced the water pump and thermostat "while we had it apart".
Don't have my records in front of me, but I don't think so. I know the timing belt has been done because I specifically remember reading that it my log yesterday as I was preparing this post.

Definitely a little nervous in trying to do all this myself, but I sure like the satisfaction of fixing/maintaining my own stuff (especially since I work at a desk for most of the week)!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Thermostat

Sounds like the thermostat is sticking slightly open. Fairly easy job you might want to DIY and save some $$. Part at the local Auto store is $8-10 bucks, fallow the coolant hose that connects to the front of engine block next to the Alternator and the thermostat is mounted there under the plastic flange. If somebody mix the wrong or two different coolants in the system that would cause the thermostat to rust and stick open.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like the thermostat is sticking slightly open. Fairly easy job you might want to DIY and save some $$. Part at the local Auto store is $8-10 bucks, fallow the coolant hose that connects to the front of engine block next to the Alternator and the thermostat is mounted there under the plastic flange. If somebody mix the wrong or two different coolants in the system that would cause the thermostat to rust and stick open.
Do you know of a good tutorials online? I've seen a couple videos that look good. Unfortunately, the most linked picture tutorial (Thermostat replacement procedure..>> - AudiWorld Forums) seems to have all dead picture links.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts