VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my car (2001 GLS 2_0) last October. I love this car! :nblove: The mileage was a little over 25 k. There was a sticker on it for servicing in 5K. It's a little over 29 now. So, last night my check engine light came on. The hubs checked the oil and it was wayyyy dry. (Yes, got the big lecture, but honestly I'd been checking it periodically and it was fine.) So the only oil we had on hand was 10/40 and figuring wrong oil was better than none, added that.

So today I took in to our local American Lubefast and the guy told me that someone (sure not me, I bought it from a reliable dealer, not VW though) had been running it on the wrong oil for some time and the engine was all gunked up. Then he told me I s/b using the premium 87 gas w/ no ethanol. So I filled the tank w/ that on the way home.

Long story short (oh, too late!) she idled rough when I paused at the light. So now I'm thinking I should take her in to the dealership, but am wondering how high a bill to expect.

Any advice (and lectures!) would be appreciated. This is such a cherry little car and my intent is to keep it a long time, but I've gotten off on the wrong foot! :eek:

So glad I found this forum!

Thanks,
Crabby

·
5/23/10 <3
11,413 Posts
First things first, the car will run fine on regular 87 so no need to search around for non ethanol fuel.

Second, did you get any maintenance history on the car? My biggest concern honestly would be the the timing belt. It likely hasn't been replaced but should have long been done. If that fails you will be looking at engine damage.

Thirdly, did you get the car scanned for codes? Always the first thing you should do if the CEL comes on.

Lastly, don't go to the dealer. And stay away from the quick lube places. They are only trying to make a buck off you and have no clue about German cars. You need to find a good independent VW mechanic.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Ditto...scan and post your codes here.
We will help you.
Your local Auto parts store like AUTO ZONE,ORIELLYS and ADVANCE AUTO offer FREE scans for the asking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

Thanks so much! My dad always warned me about dealerships but it's nice to have confirmation.

So glad I don't need more expensive gas.

As for the maintenance history, I only got the car fax.

I asked the American Lubefast mechanic to check the CEL, and was told the only code was one proprietary to the dealership. (I never have luck getting the codes from a mechanic after they pull them.) I sort of thought that might be malarkey, but it was too late. Of course, after that the CEL went off.

Is there a reliable site that shows VW mechanics in different states?

Thanks again for your help!

:nblove:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,413 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts