NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased our 2006 NB TDI for better MPG when Katrina caused gas to hit $3.09 and Diesel cost $0.20 less. But shortly after ULS Diesel came out and prices went to $0.80 more than gas. All service and preventative maintenance was performed early and had no problems with the mechanics except the EGR system. The interior and accessories is another story.

Headliner, front interior door panels, center arm rest, glove box door, brake light switches, window regulators and switches, speakers, fuel door and more to come I expect. These were not cheap items to fix/replace and I have lost all faith in Volkswagen.

The TDI choice was the only thing good about this as my other options for MPG then was the Gen 1 Insight and Prius. Then they arrogantly wanted $3000 over sticker for the Prius with none around to test drive, and the Insight was not family friendly. Son now drives the NB and I drive a 2010 Prius purchased before the Tsunami at a real good price.

I will continue to feed the VW monster until by boy graduates from College as I don't want to deal with a car payment and tuition, but then it's probably goodbye. The engine will survive for years, but the rest of the car is a POS and will fall apart around it. One bit of good news is you can now do the EGR bypass on the PD motor without the engine light, but that's going to cost you too.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. ;)

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Sorry you've had issues. I bought mine new and have not had any of the issues you listed. They're not all like that. My car has had a few problems but most have been covered by the warranty or been under $100. It helps that I have a very honest and competent independent mechanic who charges much less than the dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope you've changed the timing belt/tensioner/water pump.
Yes, all mechanical PM plus has been performed. The Big issue is the 2006 New Beetle's interior and some electronics, all being well documented. Originally intended to buy the 2006 Golf, but no Dealer trades were happening in DFW and the closest ones available that year were in Wisconsin. Just choose not to fly, buy and drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts