NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our "new" (just had it a month now) '99 GLS has a factory AM/FM cassette player in the dash. However, there is also what appears to be wiring ready to connect to a multidisc CD changer in the rear hatch area. Just need to verify that that is what it is actually for, because I'd driven another NB before buying this one and it had a multidisc CD changer back there and it also looked to be a factory item. Would it be feasible for me to go to a place like Car Toys and see about having a CD changer hooked up back there? Anyone out there had this done?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did exactly that when I wanted a cd changer in mine. I went over to car toys and talked to them about hooking one up. You'll have to get an adapter to plug into the car, but everything should hook-up fine. In the back left of the trunk there's a little black cover, that comes off and the pre-installed wiring is there. Hope that helps.

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
huskyfan_7 said:
I did exactly that when I wanted a cd changer in mine. I went over to car toys and talked to them about hooking one up. You'll have to get an adapter to plug into the car, but everything should hook-up fine. In the back left of the trunk there's a little black cover, that comes off and the pre-installed wiring is there. Hope that helps.
Helps? You bet it does, huskyfan_7! Just what I was hoping to hear! Many Thanks!:D

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Factory wired connection for CD player...

I purchased the correct model CD player for my car and it mounted with the factory mounting holes and connected right up to the plug. My CD player worked as soon as it was turned on.. With some radio head units, the coding may need to be changed so your head unit recognises the added on CD player. With some models and years, the code automatically changes once the CD player is attached and the radio head unit is turned on and the CD mode is activated. The correct code for a CD player is 06403. If you need to taylor the bass response to a lower level, the code is 00403. I needed to change the code after I had a Kicker amp installed that has very heavily biased bass response. This change in the code made all the difference in the world. If and when I change this amp for another, the code will be changed back. This code access is only thru use of the VAG-COM scanner that is in the audio module mode. Many service people do not even know that this code is available for reduced bass response. Good Luck with your purchase and install. I am sure it will be painless like mine.. JK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts