NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 beetle convertible. I was considering adding the viper smart start alarm. Has anyone done this on their beetle and if so, is there additional stuff, e.g bypass module etc....
that I need to get? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Just one question, why?

Car has a built in alarm and keyless entry, key has an immobilizer.

No body wants to steal these cars from what I have seen!

Put your money into a timing belt, water pump and thermostat.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey jfoj...I thought it would be nice to have the smart start feature. I have it on my Tahoe and I liked it. I do have a question about the whole thermostat thing. I just bought this beetle. It's an 04 convertible turbo. It runs great and has low miles(37,000). I really want to take care of it as I really like this car. I don't even drive the Tahoe anymore. Anyway, I live in Louisiana so it doesn't get that cold here. You think this thermostat should be changed anyway? I love this bug but hearing about all these different problems worries me. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Assume you would use the remote feature to start and cool the car down?

BUT, with the immobilizer system, this brings up a lot of issues.

Where you are located a weak thermostat may not be such a problem, but you need an OBDII scan tool that can read real time data in order to check the engine temp.

See the links in my signature for more info on Scan Tools and thermostats.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey jfoj....thanks for the advice. I had one of those ELM327
laying around the house but never used it. I downloaded the TorquePro app and put it in the bug! Pretty neat actually.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Glad you had an ELM327 on hand, the Torque Pro App is a nice OBDII tool, a bit cumbersome for a few tasks, however, now that you have a scan tool, you will be less likely to need it!

Check out your Long Term Fuel Trim and make sure it is typically below +2.5% and the engine temp is around 205F at idle once the outside temps drop below 70F and you should be in good shape.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jfoj....long term fuel trim was -0'8 and engine temp was 208.
Althought, that wasn't at idle. I drove around for about 20 minutes to get that. How long at idle should it take to get
to 200+? It seems like it would have taken a while at idle but
I may have just been impatient. Thanks for all the help!

Jimmy

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not sure what your outside air temps are at this point, however, I find my car will turn the blue cold engine light out within the first 1-1.5 miles and I recall this is about 135F?

Then I find the engine should be up to temperature within about the first 5 miles of driving.

What happens is a weak thermostat opens to early and will slightly delay warm up, but once the outside temps drop below 70F you will see the engine temps suffer usually when cruising on the the highway dropping below 200, and usually anything under 195 cruising I call very suspicious. Funny thing is on my car it seems with the heat on the car actually ran slightly warmer than with the heat off? Not sure it makes sense, but this is what I recall seeing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts